L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

BattleTanks II

What are you up to?

BattleTanks II

Postby JohnJ » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:35 am

"BattleTanks II" is a game I've been working on to enter in a programming competition.

I generated all the terrains with L3DT. I definitely will be using L3DT in the future :D . Thank you so much for such a great terrain generator!

Click here to download BattleTanks II (16.3 MB)

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Last edited by JohnJ on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
JohnJ
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:10 am

Hello JohnJ,

Welcome to the user group, and congratulations on your awesome work! BattleTanks II looks very polished, and furious fun to boot. I can't wait to see the finished product. Which programming completion are you entering, and what is the deadline?

Best of luck,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby JohnJ » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:55 am

I'm entering the Caiman game programming contest (http://www.caimen.be/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=804) from Caiman Free Games (http://www.caimen.us). The deadline is February 21, 2006.

P.S. How do I submit screenshots to the gallery? I can't seem to figure it out . :?
JohnJ
Contributing member

Postby JohnJ » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:32 pm

Also, I would like to say that the water texture and detail map used in L3DTVi2 are very nice. I was wondering if I may use them in my game.
JohnJ
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:33 pm

Hi JohnJ,

Urgh, I'm sorry if I messed up your last post. I accidentally hit 'edit' instead of 'quote' and overwrote your post with my reply. I think it's back to how it was now. Anyhow, here's what I intended to say:

The water texture and detail map were borrowed from the Virtual Terrain Project and GLScene, respectively. Their licenses are very permissive insofar as copying and redistribution are concerned, so I'd say that there wouldn't be a problem with you using those images in your game [though I am not a lawyer].

JohnJ wrote:How do I submit screenshots to the gallery? I can't seem to figure it out.

Yeah, sorry about that. There have been some login issues since I upgraded the forum a week or two ago. It might be working again now.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby JohnJ » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:37 am

I think it's back to how it was now.

Yeah, it's fine. I don't notice any difference.

There have been some login issues since I upgraded the forum a week or two ago. It might be working again now.

It works now :). I submitted a few of the screenshots to the gallery . :D
JohnJ
Contributing member

Postby Hinklemister » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:45 pm

That looks really good. I especially like the minimap.

-Hinklemister
I'm 17 years old and make games!
Hinklemister
Contributing member

Postby JohnJ » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:32 am

Yeah, the mini-map turned out nicely. The way I did it was to apply two texture layers to it - one with the map image (which is transformed as the tank moves along it, and another texture layer which is multiply-blended with the map texture. The second layer is a transparent PNG texture with the soft-edged circular "mask".

I'm glad you like the graphics :). They look even better in my latest version. What I just did was add real-time soft shadows. It's amazing how much adding shadows can improve the looks of a scene, even if you don't conciously think about it.

As you can also see in these screenshots, I changed the shell color from black to glowing yellow/white.
JohnJ
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:58 am

Hello,

That's looking very nice there JohnJ. The soft shadows look great, and I like the new skybox. Count me impressed.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

looking for info

Postby DeathTwister » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Hay bro, WOW looks awesome.

I see you have figured out my questian so.........

I have a questain if I may? I can't seem to find any info on a import diologue box in TSE. I need to know the Leafe depth for importing a texture into TSE and I didn't see any info on that in the Tut I looked at, at the GG website.
How would I figure that out if I may ask? I have all the rest I need to bring these puppies into TSE except for that. Maybe I need better glasses or something. It should be there right in front of my face, but this brain dead dude can't seem to find it, so please point me in the right direction.

DeathTwister :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby DeathTwister » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:59 pm

humm, my Partner got some info from GG and it went like:

you have to pick a number where 2^treeDepth-1 * leafSize = imageSize. So, for example, a 2048
image with a 4 treeDepth.
Thats 2^4-1 * leafSize = 2048.
8*leafSize = 2048
leafSize = 256.

so if that is true and I am SS is 2, hight field, Image sise in this case is 4096, error inetric of 2, tree depth of 6. So would my leafe depth be )512? 0r 1024), I am a bit confused, as I am not used to using math so much to create art, but this is well worth my headache hahahahahahahaaa...... :roll: sorry for asking dum questains, not sure if I am understanding this all right bieng a artist and not a programmer. /chuckles.
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:55 pm

Hello DeathTwister,

Have you asked this over at the GG forums? There are bound to be more experts there than here.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:47 am

Hay Aaron.

I have a post over there atm with GG, but I thought maybe here would be faster. Also it seems alot of GG hasn't had all that great a sucsess bringing them in, or the ones I been reading didn't seem to, so I thought that maybe for those here that have done so with good results, that they could pass the info along maybe /smiles knowingly.
I will try "trial and error" in the morning if no one has a thought on it by then in post. No biggie I will figure it out in the next day or 2, then post what I get if it comes out to look the way it is supposed to hahahahahaha...........was going to bring in the last terrain I just posted this morning and see what water looks like in the Mission and the terrain file. Drools at the thought. And got some interesting buildings to put by the waters edge for a photoshoot, that is if all goes well. After all, it is just a matter of tweaking is it not? hahaha, I have done lots of tweaking in my life with 3D art.

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:04 pm

Haha, kind of funny that the quote you made above, explaining the leafSize is actually my quote. I'm assuming you are the artist I was informed of that needed the info. Heh.

Anyhow, this may work better for you. Its a resource for an Atlas import window. Basically, it will calculate the leafSize for you, won't let you put in anything other then the right number.

Its a very simple drop-in resource.

http://www.garagegames.com/index.php?se ... w&qid=8236
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby DeathTwister » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:18 pm

OMG hahaha that is funny,

Hay bro /waves. Thank you so very much and yes I was hoping ya would give me a shout and help a poor old hippie out. :lol: this has been a whole new Expierence for me getting into video game engines over the last year and I am having a gass.
I used to be, well still am I guess, an award winning 2D artist and then got into TV and the film industry with modeling and animation, but this is my new home now and I can't tell you all how much this duck is loving the water. :wink:
Ok, I will go check that out, I love no-brainer programs, as I am a dumb artist when it comes to programming still, but I am learning. Who says old farts can't learn new tricks???? WOOT, Thanks bro.

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Next

Return to Users' projects