L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Image of the Month Competition: June

Announcements and chatter regarding the image of the month competition.

Image of the Month Competition: June

Postby Aaron » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:17 pm

Hi All,

The image of the month competition for June is open. The theme this month is:

Best In-Game Screenshot

Many thanks go to Dennis for choosing such a great theme.

The closing date is nominally the 1st of July, but I'm happy to extend the comp for an additional month if desired/required (to 1st of August). The complete list of rules are on the IoTM home page.

Best of luck to all the entrants!

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Hinklemister » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:19 pm

I finally got around to submitting something. It's rather low quality so I'll work on improving it.

-Hinklemister
I'm 17 years old and make games!
Hinklemister
Contributing member

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:36 pm

OK by in game do you mean a game? or just using a 3D Game engine? I am not working on games right now so much as virtual worlds to explore in. That count boss?

Sorry have not been here much lateley, but I have so many software packages to work on and in, it is hard to devide my time sometimes to do what I like doing the most which is making worlds with terrains. Since we are a 2 man team where it takes 12-20 it can be hard to keep up with it all at times. Sounds good for this next compitition.

One last thing, GRATS to the Dennis the Winner. WOO HOO my good elf, work well done and that was my choice in the contest as well /bows.
Grats to all that entered and please keep entering as it is fun to share are art with each other.
:roll: :wink:
DT :evil:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:47 pm

Hi DT,

Game engines are OK, so long as the screenshot looks fun :wink:

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Rhino » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:52 pm

Hey all, first time poster here.

Just a quicky question before I submit my entries is that is it ok that I put my mod teams logo and url onto the pics or not? cheers! :D
Rhino

Postby Aaron » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:22 pm

Hi Rhino,

Sure, logos and urls are fine.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby JohnJ » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:26 pm

I just added my entry. It's a screenshot of a L3DT terrain in my game engine (it's not a fully playable game yet), so I hope that's ok.
JohnJ
Contributing member

Postby Rhino » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:37 am

aaron wrote:Hi Rhino,

Sure, logos and urls are fine.

Cheers,
Aaron.

Cheers, uploaded my 3 images and good luck to every one else! :D
Rhino

Postby JohnJ » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:54 am

Rhino: Nice, your shots are obviously some serious competition against the rest of us non-modders :). BTW, what game is the mod is running on?

Edit: Oh, it's BattleField 2 :shock:. Nice work.
JohnJ
Contributing member

Postby Rhino » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:58 am

JohnJ wrote:Rhino: Nice, your shots are obviously some serious competition against the rest of us :). BTW, what game is that the mod is running on?

Edit: Oh, it's BattleField II :shock:. Nice work.

ye, BF2 sucks really, over at PR we have done some really nice stuff with it :)

your shots are looking really nice too with your more eroded and realistic mountains, but you cant do them too well in BF2 if you want players to walk / drive over them :p
Rhino

Postby JohnJ » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:05 pm

I think one of BF2's best graphical features is the existence of shadows and realistic lighting everywhere. Correct lighting is one of the most important, and most computationally expensive effects in 3D graphics. I will be adding shadows (and possibly ambient occlusion maps) to my engine soon, which will of course improve visual quality drastically; unfortunately I don't think I'll have time before the competition deadline.

P.S. Are votes registered per-image, or per-user? Per-image might not be the best where people submit multiple shots of the same scene, since voters results will divided between them; for example if someone entered 3 images and another entered 1 image, and all images were of relatively equal quality, the 1-image user is 3x as likely to win.
JohnJ
Contributing member

Postby Rhino » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:50 pm

JohnJ wrote:P.S. Are votes registered per-image, or per-user? Per-image might not be the best where people submit multiple shots of the same scene, since voters results will divided between them; for example if someone entered 3 images and another entered 1 image, and all images were of relatively equal quality, the 1-image user is 3x as likely to win.

Ye I agree, votes per user's images and not vote per image.
Rhino

Postby Aaron » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:15 pm

WOW! If you've not yet had a look at the entries for this month, please do yourself a favour and check them out now. I think this is shaping up as our most spectacular competition yet, and many thanks and kudos must go to Hinklemister, JohnJ, Rhino and blackFin for their fantastic entries.

Regarding the question of whether judgement is by votes per image or per artist; I'm willing to change to the latter if that's what the comunity desires. Please reply if you feel strongly either way. With that system, I suppose the winning image would then be the entry with the most votes from the artist with the most aggregate votes, yes?

Anyhoo, let me also remind other forum members that there are only 5 days left in the competition, so if you'd like to enter you'd better not dally much longer. Given the suitability of this theme, I'd be a little disappointed if we didn't see something from TGEA or Spring [prod, prod ;)].

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:49 pm

Hay Aaron,

I am So very glad to see more people entering your contests now. Way to go dude......

Well I do not know about TGEA yet, not working with that engine atm, but I am working with TGE and I hope I can meet the deadline of Tomorrow night, but I doubt it as I am tearing my computer apart and doing major upgrade tonight and tomorrow. I have about 10 hours or so to finish what I had wanted to take screen shot of in the TGE Project, but maybe I will enter at least one unfinished piece just in case I do not get back online right away. But I hate the pressure and I am sure it will not be all that good as I have done allot to the world since this last screen shot, but what the heck, no biggie and not care if I win, just like to share and the entries are awesome anyway, so it will be a hard contest with the awesome entries
/smiles....

If I can? I will upload more, but I will be lucky just to get back online to vote /smilies.

The screens are from our ATOMIX World aka Le Galleria World. A small 10 square mile world like 4m and we are close to done what can I say /winks.......

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Rhino » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:58 am

upto 3 images per user so i would upload a WIP now :)
Rhino

Next

Return to Image competition