L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Importing heightfields

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Importing heightfields

Postby monks » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:21 pm

Hi Aaron, I'm in the middle of writing an article for using Leveller with MEDEM. Leveller is a cool app but it's erosion lets it down somewhat as a complete solution.
I tried to import a Leveller heightfield and apply L3DT's erosion processes to it but it seems that you have to generate a design map from it first. Unfortunately, this tends to 'flatten out' the details in the terrain. I'm presuming that this is a result of the design map resolution - I don't know. I'm guessing I'm doing this all correctly.
We'd also like to recommend L3DT as an addition to Leveller and other apps for amongst other things, its erosion. Would it be possible to have in the future a feature to import a heightfield (say .bt or tg), and have it preserve the info? That way we can use L3DTs better ersoion capabilities for any heightfield and also get the climates, textures, etc.

Cheers,
monks
monks
Oracle

Postby JavaJones » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:06 am

Yes I'd like to cast my vote for allowing L3DT to be used more piecemeal, more as a filter than a generator so to speak. It has some very good capabilities that could be used in concert with the output of other apps, but it seems that it is mostly geared toward a start-to-finish workflow right now. Allowing someone to enter external data at any point in the process (say you just want to generate a water map on an existing terrain, for example) would be great IMO, and it would surely open up the range of uses for which L3DT is appropriate.

- Oshyan
Visit Outland - Off the beaten path...
JavaJones
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:56 am

Hello,

Agreed. The next major version of L3DT allows for piecemeal application of terrain filters, including erosion.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby monks » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:44 pm

Cheers Aaron- that will be VERY useful :)

monks
monks
Oracle

Return to Feature requests