L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Image of the month competition: November

Announcements and chatter regarding the image of the month competition.

Image of the month competition: November

Postby Aaron » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:26 am

Hi All,

I'm pleased to announce that the Image of the Month Competition for November is now open, with the following theme:

Island storms

My thanks go to Madcowthomas choosing a such an exciting and intriguing theme. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the creativity it might inspire amongst this exceedingly talented users' community.

The closing date is the 1st of December, and the standard rules apply. Best of luck to all!

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Madcowthomas » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:38 pm

Thanks Arron
Cant wait to see what others create for this Image of the Month Competition! Good Luck everyone !
From the mad cows desk to yours,
Peace
Madcowthomas

Yo...Reggie vacation mom!

"Without imagination we would cease to exist"
William Thomas
(1970-)
Warning!
Burping Babies are the Cause of Global Warming!
Madcowthomas
Doyen

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:33 pm

Sounds like fun, I take it we can use any App? I have been having Fun with tgd2 Deep version since I bought it, so want to use it more. Will do TGEA stuff the first quarter of 08. That OK? right Boss?

Hopefully more then 1-2 people will enter this time. Scaredy cats I think they are /winks........... :oops: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

Wow uploaded and installed new version, wow you did a ton of new stuff to it Aaron, will have to find the time now to really play with it and take a spin. Going to have the latest build of tgea on the first so hopefully I can really try the Atlas Plugin and get some work done, or start to as we winding down the first big part of ATOMIX World now and just tweaking before we take it private Beta before public Beta and yes I will post when we go public/just artist Beta /smiles,,,, very very soon now if all goes well.

DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:36 pm

Hi Maylock,

I take it we can use any App?

The usual rules apply: The heightmap and/or the texture must be made in L3DT, and you can use any 3D renderer you like.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:46 am

And the winner of the November Image of the Month Competition is:

No-one!

There were no entries, so the competition has been extended to include December as well. The closing date will be around about January 2nd, and the theme is now open (i.e. do whatever takes your fancy).

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:54 am

OK I am confused greatly here about the Image of the Month contests. I know I was late in getting my entry in, but I thought it was every 2- or 3 Months now, since there has not been many entries, for some unkown reason.
I just posted my entry of "after the storm" and I noted that the contest says anything goes, well what happened to the other contest with Islands after the storm? and what it looks like after the storm? I worked my tushy off on my entry and had it crash on me for 2 weeks before I found out why, so I was really hoping to see some fantastic entries, but I am the only entry so far? and that is scary after all this time.

So what happened? and why are there no entries of late? come on guys support old Aaron, or he is going to cry I swear, I would if I was him, help a poor boy out, I mean he sells his wonderful program cheep, so help him out by posting art that you all create with it. Sounds more then fair to me. Maybe for the people that do not post the price should be doubled when it comes time to get the new upgrade or even tripled, now there is a thought.
Anyway all I think we owe it to Aaron after all the wonderful work and how he bends over backwards to help us, why not return the favor dudes? and dudettes if any around.

anyway late or not my entry is in.

OK nuff said, now get to fracking work all /smiles....

DeathTwisters Alley
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:56 am

OK read the posts, bummer, oh well I did my part /smiles......I thought the theme was a good challenge Aaron, should have kept it.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Madcowthomas » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:56 pm

Wish had more time , holidays and life taken up my time this past month , try to get something before the contest ends.

Hope everyone is doing well!
Peace
Madcowthomas

William Thomas
(1970-)
Warning!
Madcowthomas
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:01 am

Hi All,

There's about a day and a half to go. This competition won't be extended to January, so unless we get some other entries, DeathTwister will win by default with After the storm (a deserving winner, I might add.)

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:19 pm

Derrr..... But thank you Aaron, hope some peeps enter some stuff????? hint hint hint.

And I was going to ask if there was going to be a Image of the year like you did last year Aaron. I thought maybe get people juicing flowing, but maybe not. I am kinda surprised at all the hard core GG builders not sharing stuff, and have no idea why? I am seeing very cool posts on GG, so am surprised here is all.

As most all Challenges and contests this year had hardly any entries, not even on eyefetch.com and renderosity.com had many so do not feel bad bro. But I sure do not want to win by default so someone enter, I have seen such great art,on this website and other I know we all post on, so not understanding at all why you artists are not posting any entries. When you make your terrains when you run around and look at them, you just need to picture yourself as a tourista and take lots of photos when you deving, then just submit the best screen shot ya got, nothing to it, no fuss no muss.

Is GG with TGE and TGEA all just programmers and not many artists? I thought we was all artists here, maybe not? any idea guys?

Anyway I am curious as to why and hope some entries get in by deadline tonight. Hummmmm but I guess I'll take the win, and if I win, all the rules are is enter this next one with your best shot, or your company's artist best shot, maybe we are all looking at this wrong? maybe start a blog on this for Aaron so we figure this out? I love the hell out of all that Aaron has been doing for us, and I personally really want to support him for his efforts by sharing with the tools he gave us some special treats back to him. Maybe I just the only one? but I think the man is terrific and deserves nothing but the best. OK I had my 2 cents, on to voting tomorrow.

Oh side not: the new TGEA with new FX effects composer upgrade is out and some nice l3dt terrains and levels in the package. Awesome awesome awesome.
Also Coming very soon we are getting back into TGEA and going for final first stage and level of DeathLords so early 08 for that coming soon right after we release ATOMIX World using TGE.

Maylock aka DeathTwister
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:57 am

Congratulations DeathTwister,

You've won the November/December Image of the Month(s) Competition. By my tally, this makes five for you. 'After the storm' was indeed an excellent render, and a deserving winner.

I'll start up the new competition when I get back to civilisation on Monday (No Aaron from now till then; so be good everyone ;) ). I agree that we should lengthen the competition period, so the next competition will be Image of the Quarter (IoTQ), ending on April 1st. I'll have a bit of a thinker about whether or not there should be a prize, and if so, what it should be.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Madcowthomas » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:41 pm

Due to the holidays and big chances here, was not able to get the time to produce something.

Grad's Deathtwisterm, awesome work! Love the colors and how flows.

Hope bring some new stuff here soon, we switch engines from TGEA to Unity 3D engine. This is a big switch since going to a mac computer. Hope everyone takes the time to swing by there site and check out this amazing engine.

Plan on having L3DT create are heighmaps for this engine, would have it no other way. Proud to be a L3DT user, and look forward one day when its on the intro screen of the game!

After get this learning curve done, take a few screen shots of are new terrain, transferring over are old stuff, and looks like have to redo the models only.

Wish everyone luck on there projects this year!
Peace
Madcowthomas

William Thomas
(1970-)
Warning!
Madcowthomas
Doyen

Postby Madcowthomas » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:22 pm

Last night exported a heightmap out of L3DT into Unity. Process took a few times to figure it all out.

Here is a screenshot
http://www.bundysoft.com/coppermine/dis ... p?pos=-312
Peace
Madcowthomas

William Thomas
(1970-)
Warning!
Madcowthomas
Doyen

Return to Image competition