L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Benchmarking feature.

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Benchmarking feature.

Postby metalliandy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:18 pm

Hey Aaron,

Im interested in comparing render speeds of maps from start to finish between the community members, so people can get an idea of how fast a particular map would render on there hardware.

Would this be hard to implement?

First of all we would need a small file with all the information needed to render a whole project held within it ( maybe one that could not be modified by the end-user for continuity's sake).

Also we would need some sort of automatically generated output file that's contents or the file itself could be uploaded by the user onto a database. much like 3dmark or http://www.eofw.org/bench/

The contents of the file would show how long all of the individual parts of the map had taken to render, as well as the whole project, and the spec's of the users computer.

Do you think this is a viable idea?
Would it be hard to make such a section on the site?

A official L3DT benchmark would be sweet!

L3DTMARK 07 :)

Thanks for looking :)
metalliandy
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:08 am

Hi Andy,

I'm sorry for the slow reply. Some of this is already done, and I'll put some of the rest on the to-do list. In particular, at the moment if you run a map definition file (.def.xml), it will automatically generate the map and report on the time taken. What I intend to do is make each part of the calculation report the time taken, and write an output file. It may also automatically gather system specs and report those too.

However, I'm not so sure about the "uploaded by the user onto a database" bit, as that would require me to write some moderately complex PHP for the webserver, and I don't have much faith in my abilities on that front (I'd probably create a massive vulnerability.) Instead, I can create a section on the Wiki for users to enter their times.

Anyway, I'll post back here when I've done some more.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby metalliandy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:49 am

Hey Aaron,

Thanks for the reply :)

What sort of thing do you have in mind for the Wiki?

Something like a table?
metalliandy
Doyen

Return to Feature requests