L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Error during export of maps

Got a problem or need advice?

Error during export of maps

Postby spirit » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:40 pm

Hello,

I am busy making a map by size of 20480x20480 texture size. Took 7 days to generate it and it look great. However i cant export to PNG as i get the message:

CL3DTio_FIApp::SaveMapFile error
- FreeImage failed to allocate bitmap

CExtDLL::SaveMapFile error
- call to DLL function 'SaveMapFile' failed

CMapGroup::SaveMapFile3 error:
- save failed

Since the texturemap is finished (after 6 days generating) i cant seem to safe it and use it :(

Any chance this rings a bell? I am using windows XP and use the latest l3dt.

Before the textures were generated i did export the lightmap. At the moment that also doesnt work.

Cheers,

Spirit
spirit

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:32 am

Hi Spirit,

The FreeImage DLL can't allocate enough RAM to compress and export the PNG as a single file. I suggest you either export the image as a set of tiles (use the 'split map into tiles' option in the export wizard), or else download and use the L3DTio_BitBitmap plugin, which can save very large images as single bitmap files. Photoshop should be able to convert the bitmap into a singe PNG.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby spirit » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:03 pm

Hey Aaron,

Thanks for the answer mate. I used the bitbitmap plugin and its producing a file right now. Been going on for a while already, expect it to take 24 hours. But i dont mind, i still have a life till that is finished:)

Thanks for the answer and i post some result pics from ingame Arma when i have imported the sat map. I was perfectly able to insert the heightmap and the low texture that i produced fitted nicely. Hope the big one does also:)

Regards,

Spirit
spirit

Error with bmp file

Postby spirit » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:50 am

Hi Aaron,

I used the plugin to create a big bmp file. All went fine, took 24 hour but the file is there.

Now the file seems to be not correct. Windows is unable to open the file with any program (photoshop, gimp etc). Seems like the file itself is not correct and it aint a memory problem.

Something i can do to fix it or something ya heard before?

Regards,

Spirit
spirit

Postby Aaron » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:59 am

Hi Spirit,

Thanks for the bug report. I've had a quick look into it, and it seems that the files written by L3DTio_BitBitmap can be read by Paint.NET (my preferred image program), but not GIMP. I don't know about Photoshop; I don't have it. I'll try to work out what's gone wrong, and post back here when done.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby spirit » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:41 am

Tx Aaron,

If it is of any help. The produced bitmap is 1.28 gigabyte. It's size is 20480x20480.

One thing i did just notice and it might ring a bell. The plugin was finished. Just to be sure i pressed safe and it indeed safed my project. I pressed exit L3DT and it closed the program successfully.

Been then trying to open the bmp not successfully. However just before i left to work this morning i saw a process L3DT building up large amounts of memory use. Might it be possible that L3DT is still finalising the file although it claims to be finished already?

Anyway tonight i go see what the paint.net can do and if that process is still going on or worse has gone so big that windows made it shutup:)

Regards,

Spirit

(By the way i upgraded from trial to paid version today :D )
spirit

Postby Aaron » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:28 am

Hi Spirit,

I found one bug in the L3DTio_BigBitmap plugin: I was missing four bytes from the header. The output will now load correctly in Windows picture viewer, paint.exe and Paint.NET. However, the GIMP still won't load the bitmaps, so I've got a little bit more debugging to do here. Anyway, if you'd like the fixed but perhaps not perfect plugin, you can download it from here. I apologise for the inconvenience caused by this bug.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby spirit » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:01 pm

Tx Aaron,

I try that updated plugin tonight.

Anyway possible i edit that existing file to make it work? Costed me 24 hours to make it :cry:

If not, doesnt matter, i click and wait for tomorrow.
spirit

Postby spirit » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:15 pm

The new plugin version does not work. I get the message:
ExtFunc_GetFuncHandle error:
- Plugin 'L3DTio_BigBitmap' requestied function 'var.GetValueA', which was not found

CExtAPI::GetFuncHandle error - Function not found

L3DTio_BigBitmap::ExtExportImage error:
- unsuported map type (ID = 10)

CZeoFunc::CallFunction error:
- The function 'ExtExportImageUI' in the plugin 'L3DTio_BigBitmap' returned an error.

Regards,

Spirit
spirit

Postby Aaron » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:54 pm

Hi Spirit,

There are two problems here. The first is the 'function not found' problem, which is because I compiled the plugin against the latest API, and presumably you're not using the latest developmental build of L3DT. I've recompiled the plugin with the old API, and it should now work for you (see link in previous page.) In any case, this problem wasn't serious; this plugin doesn't use the 'var.GetValueA' function anyway, so all it was going to do was throw that error message during plugin loading.

The second problem is the 'unsuported map type (ID = 10)'. This is because you tried to export the design map as a bitmap. Remember, the plugin exports the map layer that is currently displayed in the main window. Use the 'view->show map' option to display the texture map, then use the L3DTio_BigBitmap option to export the texture. You can do this with your version of the plugin, or you can download the updated one.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby spirit » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:35 pm

Hey Aaron,

Well i go update to latest version as soon as i have that texture out. I gues i am one version behind then? 2.5c i have.

Anyway the problem for me is that no other program like photoshop or Gimp can handle files this big with 1.5 giga memory. No way i can go paint and open it.

So i am stuck on the bmp output to be converted in any way to png. It can be any program as long as it can open it and it can handle the file. 1.28 gigabyte bmp file it is.

Tx for the effort mate.

Spirit
spirit

Postby spirit » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:06 pm

Hey Aaron,

Well i took the export to tiles option this time. Brought all the tiles over to a friend of mine with a Mac. 1 hour later it was all sorted. Right now i am importing in Arma. Results tomorrow:D

Tx for your effort :D

I realy enjoy this program and the the time you take to answer/support. If in any way i can help out, just let me know mate.

Spirit
spirit

Return to Help and support