L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Atlas2 With 8Textures:)

Got a problem or need advice?

Atlas2 With 8Textures:)

Postby lmaceleighton » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:48 am

Arron,
There is a resource on the GG resource page that is new. It adds the ability to Torque's(TGEA) Atlas2 Terrain to carry 8 textures for the blended terrain instead of the default. Unfortunately the person that made it made it with "Grome". First off I feel L3DT to be the superior product, especially when you look at price VS features:P

I was wondering Arron if you would look at the resource and tell m what I might do to get L3DT to produce a script that would work, if you check out the GG page you can see my Console.log file if you think that helps but I feel that it is just that L3 currently isnt thinking you can have 8 textures so it is ignoring my wants completely...I mean really, how come this software cannot read my mind?(Of coarse that was a joke) :)

Thanks in advance!

Bobby Leighton
Imagn' Games
lmaceleighton
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:46 am

Hi Bobby,

I'll have a look at it. It should be a trivial change to L3DT's Atlas2 exporter plugin to allow up to 8 textures in blended terrain*. I'll post back here when it's ready for testing.

Best regards,
Aaron.

* Disclaimer: users will still have to manually modify and recompile their TGEA code to include the '8 textures' resource until such time as it is included in stock TGEA.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:45 am

Hi Bobby,

I've PM'd you the download instructions for a new build of L3DT for Torque with an updated Atlas2 export plugin that supports up to 8 texture layers.

If anyone else would like to try this version and help with any possible debugging, please reply here and I will similarly send you the download instructions.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby lmaceleighton » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:18 am

Possible Bug,

The Attribute Painting in Sapphire wont update in real-time, if close Saphire and re-open it what I painted is there...Only one so far:)
But I just tried this in the last build and it wouldn't work either, this is the first time I have used L3DT on my new Laptop is this maybe a Vista thing? But that doesnt sound right I have no problem using this feature before is the anything about new features that I am missing that might be interfering with that?
lmaceleighton
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:10 am

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for the bug report. Fixing this bug was on the to-do list for v2.6, but it was pushed back to v2.7 (i.e. the next release) because there is a viable workaround.

The problem here is that the brush is working just fine, but the changes are not being pushed to the OpenGL texture mipmaps for display in Sapphire. This only affects non-mosaic attributes maps; if you use a mosaic attributes map, the mipmaps are updated correctly and the brush 'appears' to work properly.

Anyway, I'll have a look at fixing this shortly. Thanks again for the bug report, and let me know if you find any more.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby lmaceleighton » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:05 am

Maybe another Bug,

No matter how much I try to re-calculate the Attribute map when in Sapphire the whole middle of the map is black, all of the outside edges are there but the rest is hiding:) If you need a screen shot so you can see exacally what I mean let me know and i will post one:) Also is this the place you want me to report bugs? I see another space in the forum but it was all to do with this thread so I assumed, but Ill post where ever you would like to make it easier for you and you Dev proccess;)
lmaceleighton
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:01 pm

Hi Bobby,

Yes, a screenshot would help.

Also is this the place you want me to report bugs?

Usually I prefer bug reports to go into that forum section, but I don't really mind.

By the way, have you had a chance to test the 8-texture Atlas exporter?

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby lmaceleighton » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:12 pm

No, I have trouble getting 8 textures on the terrain unless i paint them by hand, I think it is becasue i am still unsure on how the attribute scheme works...Ive been through the tutorial and it does show me great setup but not what I nee to know...but in fairness it has been some time since I have looked at said tutorial and I am more experience in L3DT now so i may have another look...Ill find a way to test it somehow tonight...just had to finish my programming homework first(Math for Game Programming 1 @ DeVry University;) This program has really helped with some of my classes BTW;)
lmaceleighton
Contributing member

Postby lmaceleighton » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:36 pm

Ok L3DT said that Atlasbuild completed "OK" but it produced no Atlas file...here is the Console.LOG file that Torque produces...I see it saying that it couldn't open a file but I don't understand what is wrong:)

//-------------------------- 10/29/2008 -- 18:28:08 -----
Starting Atlas Build!

Generating chunked geometry (depth=4, baseMaxError=0.750000)
o Calculating activation levels...
- done.
o Propagating activation levels...
- done.
o Writing file header...
- done.
o Generating empty TOC...
- done.
o Generating meshes...
AtlasOldActivationHeightfield::generateNodeData - Max exceeded! May have paging issues!
AtlasOldActivationHeightfield::generateNodeData - Min exceeded! May have paging issues!
AtlasOldActivationHeightfield::generateNodeData - Max exceeded! May have paging issues!
- done.
=== Chunk Statistics ===\
\===== Level Count Avg. Size
0 64 8708.468750
1 16 34081.562500
2 4 84290.250000
3 1 191136.000000
========================================
chunks: 85
input verts: 4194304
output verts: 170983

avg verts/chunk: 2012
output bytes: 3173
bytes/input vert: 0.00
bytes/output vert: 0.02
real triangles: 1630944
AtlasDeferredFile::ensureStreamWritable - switching file into writable mode... This may cause a crash if you have other copies of Torque accessing it!
importOldAtlasCHU - created new Atlas file 'scriptsAndAssets/data/terrains/deleteme/geom.atlas'
importOldAtlasCHU - Atlas file initialized, converting...
importOldAtlasCHU - Headers read, remapping chunks...
importOldAtlasCHU - Importing geometry chunks...
importOldAtlasCHU - level 3 chunks...
importOldAtlasCHU - level 2 chunks...
importOldAtlasCHU - level 1 chunks...
importOldAtlasCHU - level 0 chunks...
AtlasFile::waitForPendingWrites - Waiting for pending output to finish.
AtlasFile::waitForPendingWrites - Done!
importOldAtlasCHU - import OK!
atlasGenerateTextureTOCFromTiles - leafSize is not a power of 2!
atlasGenerateTextureTOCFromTiles - leafSize is not a power of 2!
atlasGenerateBlenderTerrain - Getting ready to produce blender terrain...
o Opening 'scriptsAndAssets/data/terrains/deleteme/geom.atlas' for geometry...
AtlasFile::load - loading Atlas resource 5423ef0 with scriptsAndAssets/data/terrains/deleteme/geom.atlas
o Opening 'scriptsAndAssets/data/terrains/deleteme/opacity.atlas' for opacity data...
AtlasFile::load - loading Atlas resource 5413398 with scriptsAndAssets/data/terrains/deleteme/opacity.atlas
o Opening 'scriptsAndAssets/data/terrains/deleteme/lightmap.atlas' for opacity data(2)...
AtlasFile::load - loading Atlas resource 5292ae8 with scriptsAndAssets/data/terrains/deleteme/lightmap.atlas
o Opening '65568' for lightmap data...
AtlasFile::load - cannot open atlas file '65568'.
atlasGenerateBlenderTerrain - unable to open '65568' for input!
Build complete!
onExit: Unknown command.

Any ideas?
lmaceleighton
Contributing member

Return to Help and support