L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Detailed Editing of Terrain

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Detailed Editing of Terrain

Postby krama757 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:18 am

Woot first feature request!!! :D Aaron was nice enough to tell me I could brag about it ^_^

Well, I have been using L3DT for large scale mapping in conjunction with NIMs terrain generator program for detailed mapping. But I cant get away from the fact that NIMs editor cannot import jpg/bmp heightmaps.

It would be very nice to have some features like NIMs mapper. All I would like to do is to somehow use L3DT or L3DT TiV2 to modify the terrain after it has been generated and viewed in 3D.

Just simple Raise Point/Lower point functions will really help a lot when finely editing your landscape to hug the sides of a building or make a perfect little garden.
krama757

Re: Detailed Editing of Terrain

Postby Aaron » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:59 am

krama757 wrote:It would be very nice to have some features like NIMs mapper. All I would like to do is to somehow use L3DT or L3DT TiV2 to modify the terrain after it has been generated and viewed in 3D.

This is a pretty popular request. A 3D-editor in L3DT is high on my priority list once I finish some structural renovations planned for release 2.4.

Oh yes, I should also mention that it is possible to edit L3DT terrain in 3D using PnP Terrain Creator:

http://www.pnp-terraincreator.com/index.php?section=Start

I believe one of our illustrious members has even written plugin to load L3DT .hff files in PnP-TC.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby krama757 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:50 am

Aye.

Aaron, if you ever get a 3D editor out, it would also be very nice to be able to fine tune the placement of textures so that even after you get the climate to texture the map, you can paint some custom textures on and save them as part of the heightmap.

Just a thought :) This will make L3DT the perfect terrain editor for indie game makers.

---------------------
Wow, PnP is awesome! Thanks a lot for the link Aaron! I had found it earlier but never bothered to learn it up. Stupid me >|
krama757

Postby Aaron » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:51 am

Sure, it’s a good suggestion. I guess if there's a 3D editor for terrain, it should be fairly trivial to extend it to painting the texture.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Feature requests