L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Hang while calculating lighting

Please report software faults here.

Hang while calculating lighting

Postby warren » Mon May 04, 2009 3:42 am

I'm getting a problem where L3DT hangs while trying to calculate the lighting map. It doesn't become unresponsive at all, it just sits there doing nothing on the "Calculating Lighting" stage and the time remaining stays at "Indeterminate". I have a quad core cpu and the load on all the cores while this is happening is pretty much zero, so I'm not entirely sure what its doing or what its waiting for. I left it for a few days over the weekend to see if it ever picked up and started going again, but it never did.

I checked the log file and there wasn't any errors in there, just the info messages about loading the different mosaic tiles. I'm at work atm so I don't have the project file handy so I can't remember exactly what the settings of the project I was working on are, but its split into 512x512 mosaic tiles, the bump mapping info was in the normals, and I was making a high res light map (8:1).
warren

Postby Aaron » Mon May 04, 2009 10:46 am

Hi Warren,

Thank you for the bug report. Can you please send the log file (log.txt), the project file (.proj) and the map definition file (.def.xml) to aaron@bundysoft.com? With this data I should hopefully be able to reproduce the bug and fix it.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Mon May 04, 2009 10:29 pm

Hi Warren,

Could I ask you to download and try the latest developmental build of L3DT (v2.7 build 10) ? This update includes additional logging data that may help me in determining where L3DT is halting. If/when it stops, please send the log file to aaron@bundysoft.com*. Thanks again.

Cheerio,
Aaron.

* See 'bug reports' sticky if you're unsure of where to find the log file.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby warren » Thu May 14, 2009 10:08 am

Sorry I haven't followed this up, been ridiculously busy at work and haven't had much chance to try anything. I downloaded the latest development build a couple of days though and re-tried the process and it didn't hang, went through and generated everything fine, so I guess I don't really have much to report :)
warren

Postby Aaron » Thu May 14, 2009 10:50 am

Hi Warren,

No worries. If the bug comes back please send me the log file, and if it doesn't, so much the better.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Bug reports