L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

TA Spring

What are you up to?

Postby Calsa » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:03 am

Im not mapping for this game but I do love his suggestion of importing raw 32 bit height maps. Also when you export a raw 32 bit height maps they export upside down which is annoying :x
Calsa

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:48 am

Hello,

Forboding Angel wrote:at the time I didn't realize that the design map could be imported from a heightmap image. I thought originally is was a seperate file.

The design-map is indeed stored in a separate file, but it contains its own heightfield (plus some other data, like erosion, climate, etc), so it can usually be thought of as a heightfield.

Forboding Angel wrote:BTW could you add 32bit RAW file support for heightmap imports? PS cs2 can save 32 bit as raw, so that would fix that little issue.

Sure, I'll put that on the to-do list for L3DT 2.4 beta1.

Forboding Angel wrote:Also, I figured out how to beef up my rock walls without having to try and trick l3dt. I increased the baseprob of cliff face to .60 from .40, only issue is that it nixed my steep grass land type.

You can do a similar thing with steep grass, either increase the baseprob or the gradcoeff. I appreciate that balancing these parameters is a real pain – this is why I've written the climate-editor for L3DT 2.4.

Calsa wrote:Im not mapping for this game but I do love his suggestion of importing raw 32 bit height maps. Also when you export a raw 32 bit height maps they export upside down which is annoying.

Exporting as 32-bit floats is ready-to-go in L3DT 2.4. As for the inverted y-axis (see FAQ page), v2.4 will also have an option to invert the y-axis for RAW exports, and maybe for some other image formats too.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Forboding Angel » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:20 am

actually I found a real nice balance by scaling down cliff face to 50. Works really well. I'm very happy now.

BTW thanks a ton dude. You have helped out a lot.
Forboding Angel
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:32 am

Hi Forboding Angel,

You're most welcome, I'm glad to be of assistance.

Regarding your tutorial in the wiki, I've gone ahead and removed the public read-restrictions, as I think it might be a good time to get some feedback from readers (what works / what doesn't, etc). I hope you don't mind.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Forboding Angel » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:27 am

no problem at all

BTW I figured out how to keep from losing detain in the heightmap when importing as a design field.

Setting peak and fractal 1/2way in between none and 1/2, and everything else to none, it smooths it out quite nicely, also, for some reason it changes the way the attributes map is calculated in a very good way. Contour lines are a thing of the past.

I'm a much happier person now. The sucky thing is that I will have to redo parts of my tutorial to cover it.

meh what a mess.
Forboding Angel
Luminary

Previous

Return to Users' projects