L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Using maps

Got a problem or need advice?

Using maps

Postby Jacob1029 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:40 pm

Hi all,

I know it sucks your first post being a request for help but I really need it.. I want to recreate my local town and a route from my town to another town (Newark to Southwell) which I travel on often and then put it into a game called Rigs Of Rods.

I have used L3DT numerous times and made many a map for RoR with this lovely program however I am yet to recreate an actual place.

I want to use googlemaps or a online map to create a heightmap so I can make the basic map then add details using the Saphire plugin.

Once I have fine tuned the terrian using Saphire I want to add roads , I saw a great tutorial which I am going to use when doing this, but I was wondering if there is anyway to add a map as a blueprint to then add roads using this blueprint to make sure my map is a precise respresentation of the real route!

So in short, can I use google maps etc to make a heightmap so I have a nice map which represents the real place? And then use a map/ariel view as a blueprints to use to make landscape features and roads in a precise location?

Thanks a lot if you have managed to read this far! :)
Regards,

Jacob
Jacob1029

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:15 am

Hi Jacob,

There are two tutorials in the wiki that may help:
  1. The first covers importing real-world terrain from the Shuttle Radar Tomography Mission.
  2. The second explains how to make roads, including how to load an overlay image onto the terrain to help you place your roads &c.
Please let me know if you find any problems.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Jacob1029 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:17 pm

Well I Got the proffesional and it + the nasa tool works very well, however I imported almost all of england as a heightmap :?

I can't see a way of zooming in onto certian spots with SRTM so the only choice I have is to crop the existing terrian however I have a problem, I can't find out how. All I have found out is how to resize, I indeed want to actually cut out a bit not resize. :wink:

Thanks for the trial and support so far.
Regards,

Jacob
Jacob1029

Postby Jacob1029 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:53 pm

Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear.

I made a picture, Orange is the hieghtmap and therefore also the terrian in L3DT created, but I only want the red bit. How do I do this?

Regards,

Jacob
Regards,

Jacob
Jacob1029

Postby Aaron » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:26 am

Hi Jacob,

I recommend you use the 'select area' mouse tool to select the desired area of the heightfield. Then, press CTRL+C to copy the map area. In the copy/paste tool window (which opens automatically), select the 'paste as new layer' button, and enter the map name as "HF" (for heightfield). When asked to confirm copying over the map*, say yes. With this done, your project should now contain a heightfield of only the selected area.

Please let me know if there are any problems.

Best regards,
Aaron.

* There is a spelling mistake in the confirmation message, which I have fixed in the next build.

PS: I'll add a 'crop map layer' tool to the next release, to make this a little more intuitive.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Jacob1029 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:28 am

Hi there,

Thanks Again!

I have been fiddling about and I got it working nicely, one more question. I have been trying to do this myself with little success, how do you merge hieghtfields?

The bit I want to recreate is actually in between to grids :( .

(Feature sounds nice in the new release)
Regards,

Jacob
Jacob1029

Postby Aaron » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:37 pm

Hi Jacob,

Jacob1029 wrote:how do you merge hieghtfields?

Use the 'File->Import->Merge heightmaps' menu option (see userguide).

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support