L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Development of Whren continues - video

What are you up to?

Development of Whren continues - video

Postby demi » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:19 am

Moving forward in development of the MOVW called Whren.

Whren is set 5000 years after a nuclear holocaust destroyed most of the earth. The surviving creatures and humans went through a transformation and genetic changes. All technology was lost and they struggled to rebuild from lithely the stone age to at the current time frame which is a medieval period.

The following video is a collection of 6 clips that show the city walls that were built around Heken (a neutral city.

The terrain is developed in L3DT and has been tweaked through the mmf. The land mass is in scale and is approximately 3000 square miles.

My computer is not the best for making videos but this turned out decent.

enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiuL7FWUdSc
demi
Oracle

Postby Aaron » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:00 am

Hi Demi,

I love a good post-apocalyptic medieval adventure! Thanks for showing us your progress.

The terrain is developed in L3DT and has been tweaked through the mmf.

Curiosity strikes: what part of the MMF required tweaking, dare I ask?

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby demi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi Aaron,

The mmf tweaking was to reduce the entire scale by 4. I since stopped working with Multiverse and moved to a different engine. I am working on something new and be back to show you some landscape soon.

Demi
demi
Oracle

Postby Aaron » Tue May 04, 2010 9:26 am

Hi Demi,

Hmmm...still curious:

Was there a reason for not using the appropriate L3DT window to set the scale? I'm asking because I'd like to know if, where and how the L3DT user interface is deficient. Having to manually edit files indicates to me that there was a problem with the functionality or discoverability of the controls in L3DT.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby demi » Thu May 06, 2010 10:25 am

Hi Aaron,

There is not a problem with L3DT so much as with how the game engine lays out the landscape. If I build a 1024x1024 terrain mosaic of 512 each and set the resolution to 1 in L3DT the design map has a very low altitude. Suppose I want vast mountains and oceans so I need to scale it to 30 for a horizontal resolution. Well if I were to plug in a 30 horizontal resolution mmf into Multiverse then I would have such a huge terrain that it would look horrid. In order to get that look and feel I want, I would need to set this resolution to a lower number.

Multiverse reads this as real values but in scale to what the character is it is way to much distance. The game scale needs to be about a factor of 4 to 8 smaller in order to make use of the terrain.

Multiverse is unique as it reads the mmf directly so I could edit the file and change the values myself to tweak the height and scale to get the look and feel I wanted.

In this new engine I am working on the scale is set at 1 meter or .5 meter per pixel. (depends on your initial design). the height is an entered value. I exported the terrain as a 4096x4096 png and had to scale the Y by a factor of 10. If I would have used the default 16K HF and the default 4 meter resolution The hills and mountains would have not been visible. By scaling these values I can get that realistic look of distant hills.

I guess it it is more a personal choice as to what I feel look good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY7r8dWQz4U
demi
Oracle

Postby Aaron » Thu May 06, 2010 1:50 pm

Hi Demi,

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realise there was such an odd difference in horizontal scaling between L3DT and Multiverse. Good to know.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby demi » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:28 am

demi
Oracle

Postby demi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:45 am

The project is on hold again. Probably indefinitely since the artist and writer quit I had to pull all the videos related to their work.
demi
Oracle

Re: Development of Whren continues - video

Postby demi » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:59 am

video removed.
demi
Oracle

Postby demi » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:32 pm

After many months and lots of depressing times of many things not working well, I have finally started working on KoW again.

Not many come here but this board has been my place to share L3DT related stuff for a long time.

Here is a video from my latest work. The world is 8KM at 10 meters per division in design and has ben reduced in scale to 1.5625 meters per division.

First video is default engine texturing using the engines slope and altitude. It was made more or less as a slam to those that seem to run off to Kickstarter with some crap screens and a big ideas. My project is staying low and under radar because I want to keep it out of public eyes but still want to get some technical people. I have to show it off but no website and no forums means the gaming sites will not be able to list it as in development.

http://youtu.be/Ibr_ddqx9Do

Second video is my current world with new textures. Still tweaking the terrain masks but thought you all want to see the awesomeness of what L3DT can do with a pro engine.

http://youtu.be/jxc3mbYdkhE
demi
Oracle

Postby Aaron » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi Demi,

Really nice work. May I ask what engine you're using? It's very pretty.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby demi » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:35 pm

Aaron wrote:Hi Demi,

Really nice work. May I ask what engine you're using? It's very pretty.

Best regards,
Aaron.

Hi Aaron,

This is BigWorlds Tech engine. All the textures are from CGTextures.
demi
Oracle

Postby Prime_8 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:42 am

very cool . keep at it .

i know what setbacks are like , so keep pushing forward .
Prime_8
Contributing member

Postby demi » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:34 pm

Didn't like the way that one turned out after working with it for a few months so removed the video. I have something in the works but not going to be able to display it yet.
demi
Oracle

Return to Users' projects