L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Project Corruption

Please report software faults here.

Project Corruption

Postby nicethugbert » Fri May 07, 2010 7:09 pm

Some of my projects don't want to start. They hang L3DT until windows closes it down. There are no log files in my install directory. I'm using Windows 7.

Is there a way to recover my project? I tried opening my DM map but I got:

CL3DTApp::ProcessDeferredCmdLine error:
- unrecognised file type 'dmf' for file 'C:\Users\Duh User\Documents\L3DT Projects\InflateDM\3584x3584\HZ 0.3125\Edge Wrap\100% Ave. Alt\60% Steepness\100% Vast\10% Noise Strength\00% Noise Shape\80% Cliffs-Terrace\30% Erosion\100 % Lakes\Temperate\000\000_DM.dmf'

I can open my height, texture, and AM maps from the corrupt projects.

EDIT 0: I have one L3DT instance crunching a water map. I try to open another instance for another project and I get : "CL....." Windows put up a message box before I could copy the error message, but, it was something about a write log file. Clicking yes on the windows message box closed that instance of L3DT.

EDIT 1: The same error just happened to my water map but windows doesn't seem to be in a hurry to close it.
nicethugbert
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Sat May 08, 2010 12:14 pm

Hi Nicethugbert,

Hmmm...sounds odd. Can you please send me the affected '.proj' files? (to aaron@bundysoft.com). Also, can you please attempt to load the project in L3DT, and then send me the log file? Instructions for finding the log file are in the 'tips on reporting bugs' sticky post at the top of this forum. [non-admin apps can't write to the install directory in Win 7 / Vista; hence, the log files are elsewhere.]

The inability to load the design map is correct, although perhaps not as expected by users. As currently implemented, L3DT can only load a design map as part of a project (i.e. via loading a .proj file), but not as a standalone file. This is because the design map relies on some data stored in the project (namely the climates list), and cannot, at this time, be used without this data. This of course can be changed by revising the design map file format to include the climate list (as already done with the attributes map), but that wouldn't fix this problem, as the extant DMFs in question contain no such data.

Edit: For reference, files that can be loaded in L3DT from drag-and-drop or the command line include:
  • Project files
  • All heightfield file formats that support the load action
  • All texture map file formats that support the load action
  • All mosaic maps
  • Script files (.zs or .py)
  • Plugins (for installation; this may be removed later)
  • zgraph files, for ZeoGraph.
  • Batch files (.def.xml or .run)
  • Patch files (.patch.txt)

In the last seven years or so that L3DT has been available, I'm not sure we've had a project corruption bug reported before. Thus, debugging may be a little more difficult than usual. Can you tell me what you and L3DT were doing with the affected projects before you noticed they could not be loaded? Were the projects being used simultaneously in two instances of L3DT, for instance? Was there anything else unusual you noticed?

Regards,
Aaron.

Edit: I've modified the forthcoming beta release so that a more useful error message is given when attempting to load a file via the command line or drag-and-drop that is not supported by that action.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby nicethugbert » Sat May 08, 2010 2:37 pm

I was opening the summaries in firefox.
nicethugbert
Doyen

Postby nicethugbert » Sat May 08, 2010 5:06 pm

I have used two instances at a time but not the same project file. I opened the height field and the AM at the same time each in their own instance successfully and made maps for YATT for 12 map sets with no problem.

But, now, after using the NWN2 Toolset to try and import the YATT files it doesn't want to open my Height maps:

CExtManager::GetDllHandle error:
- Cannot create DLL handle

CFileConfig::LoadMapFile error:
- plugin not found

CMapGroup::LoadMapFile2 error
- error loading file

CMapGroup::HF_ImportFromFile error:
- call to LoadMapFile failed

But, I need to open the height maps to know the min and max elevation. YATT needs this info.

Email sent.
nicethugbert
Doyen

Postby nicethugbert » Sat May 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Made a new project and went as far as the design map, then saved. Tried to import a height field and got the above error message. L3DT will not open this project now either.

I have noticed that naming folders has been real slow in the past couple days.
nicethugbert
Doyen

Postby nicethugbert » Sat May 08, 2010 8:06 pm

Prologue: I just went through a bunch of errors and wrote the detailed report below. Then I got an idea. "Hmm, what if the problem is the percent signs in the file path. I think that was not allowed in win xp. Lemme get rid of them and see what happens." And now my project loads just fine. Case closed. Here's the report anyway.

Got an error while making my latest map. I was AFK the whole time the map was being made. I saw the error when I returned and the entire map was done from design to texture. No other apps were open except for a folder, and not the maps work folder.

I tried to copy paste the error message here but firefox crashed. I'll email it.

I tried to save the project and all maps saved but I got an error again.

Then I tried to look at the water map and got an error again.

Then I closed L3DT. It asked me if I wanted to save changes. I said yes and it closed without an error.

I double clicked the project and windows shut it down a few minutes later while waiting to open files.

Tried to open the dm for this project and got:
- unrecognised file type 'dmf' for file 'C:\Users\Duh User\Documents\L3DT Projects\InflateDM\3584x3584\HZ 0.3125\Edge Wrap\100% Ave. Alt\100% Steepness\100% Vast\15% Noise Strength\05% Noise Shape\100% Cliffs-Terrace\30% Erosion\100% Lakes\000\000_DM.dmf'

There is no height map saved although one was made.

It keeps trying to open the texture map as a height map.
nicethugbert
Doyen

Postby nicethugbert » Sat May 08, 2010 8:44 pm

Started a new project. Make the maps one at a time. At the end of making a height map I get:
CExtManager::GetDllHandle error:
- Cannot create DLL handle

CFileConfig::SaveTileFile error:
- plugin not found

CMosaicMap::SaveTile error
- call to format-specific SaveTile failed

CMosaicMap::SaveMosaic error
- SaveTile failed for tile (0,0 - index 0)

It poped up on it's own but I get it when I try to save. IT will not save the height field. I'm erasing all then % signs in my project paths.

Incidentally, these recent projects have the lakes cranked to 100 but they have no lakes beyond the design map.
nicethugbert
Doyen

Postby nicethugbert » Sun May 09, 2010 2:37 am

I fot rid of all those % signs in my folder names then reinstalled L3DT, also uninstalled 2.8 build 16.

I can make full projects again without the above errors the only errors I get are

- unrecognised file type 'wmf' for file 'C:\Users\Duh User\Documents\L3DT Projects\InflateDM\896x1280\Tunnel Test\003\003_WM.wmf'

or

- unrecognised file type 'dmf' for file 'C:\Users\Duh User\Documents\L3DT Projects\InflateDM\896x1280\Tunnel Test\003\003_DM.dmf'

when I try to open a WM or DM individually. The yopen as part of a project..
nicethugbert
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Sun May 09, 2010 10:19 am

Hi nicethugbert,

Thanks for the bug report. I've modified the next build of L3DT to work safely with percent symbols in file names. I was using a CString::Format command where I should have used CString::SetString, with the consequence that a percent character in a filename was being interpreted as a formatting symbol, which results in memory corruption and other Bad Things [tm].

I can make full projects again without the above errors the only errors I get are

As mentioned in my previous post, the 'ProcessDeferredCmdLine' error you're receiving is because L3DT cannot load the WMF or DMF files unless they are part of a project. The list of files that can be loaded as standalone files is also included in my previous post. In the forthcoming beta release I have modified the error message to be less obscure.

Incidentally, these recent projects have the lakes cranked to 100 but they have no lakes beyond the design map.

As explained in the userguide, the 'lakes' parameter has no effect unless you select the 'Auto-flood lakes' option in the water mapping wizard.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Bug reports