L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Sun/Heat affected Materials in Climates

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Sun/Heat affected Materials in Climates

Postby M1013828 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:08 am

First post and its a suggestion to make the climate tool more powerful.
I have been creating a spring Afghanistan map for arma2 aiming for it to be more colourfull than most. white snowtops, green river valleys. dry hillsides.

In Spring/Summer Snowy mountain tops generally have more snow on the side opposite the sun.

My Idea would be to create an extra variable in the materials section, a sliding bar for affected by sun or heat.
Part 2 would be when creating an attributes map it would ask you to specify suns Orientation, and average height. This way we could have more realistic snow cover on mountains opposite the suns angle.

Although this first came to mind for snow, it could also apply to everything else, such as parched grass/dirt (kinda like most of Australia) :cry: in the sun, while in the deep ravines etc, lush greenery, (kinda like New Zealand) :D

The absolute premium way to do the sun thing would be georeferenced lats and longs and a lookup table, but that would be overkill, specifying orientation from the map, height and possibly distance form maps edge, (to avoid the "shadow" textures radiating in a semi circle from the edge of the map)

I think this would be a killer feature to improve further your awesome Tool! (no innuendo intended)
M1013828

Postby Aaron » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:45 am

Hi M1013828,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the suggestion. This feature is, if I recall correctly, on the dev plan somewhere. I don't think I'll have time to include this in the next release, as there are too many other changes in that pipeline. However, I will keep it in mind for the following release, where I intend to focus on improvements to climate & vegetation modelling.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Feature requests