L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

COS= 'Chronicles of Saba'

What are you up to?

COS= 'Chronicles of Saba'

Postby Torakunsama » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:15 am

Greetings ladies and gentlemen!
For the past 3 years I've been learning to work with the BGE (Blender game engine) to make a space game. Till 2 months ago, COS was a guinea pig project for other smaller, shinier and performance game projects. However, I started getting too attached to it, and made it my main game project.
Now, I'm just an hobbyist so don't expect any fancy stuff!

Cos has evolved from a simple earth-moon explorer to an open box game.
The details of this project can be followed at gameblender.org: http://www.gameblender.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=190

Since the main feature of this project is planetary exploration, I need a fast way to generate detailed terrain for the planets surface, this is where L3DT comes in. Since 2008 I've been using this great piece of software, and been quite satisfied. The new release seems to have taken a lot in speed and efficiency!

My planets are made out of 4X8 pieces of terrain with about 10 variations per piece (all pre-rendered). I plan on putting about 20 types of planets in the game in a 3 sizes each, excluding the solar system's ones.
Each piece is low poly, the detail on the surface are added via a code, that allows me to place 3 types of objects on the surface, each planet piece will have it's own 3 variations. this video show a quickly made wanna-be-glacial-planet examplehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OToaV49rx3U
The problem now is to achieve believable exo-planets terrain textures.
Obviously L3DT is more terra-like oriented, so, I'll need your help!

Thanks for reading!
Tora
To Infinity...
Torakunsama

Postby Torakunsama » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:24 am

OK so I tried displacing the planet-scape by hand, and it doesn't look very convincing, so I'll have to recur to L3DT. I'm still not sure how I'll make the climates and materials for all the planet types, but I see I'll have a colossal work to do...Image
These are the types of planets I want to add in the game. I really can't remember the author of this image but it serves well as reference to me.

Mainly I'll have to make small continents or oceans. The corners will all have same altitude in order to blend with other pieces. The only problem I see now is the climates (I actually know +or- how to, only I never tried doing it, no better time to start). Textures wont be bigger than 2048X2048. Now I'll go hunt for base textures.
I have to previous pro version, and next year will surely buy the new one, the standard version is very nice already.
To Infinity...
Torakunsama

Return to Users' projects