L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Calling Mac OS X users

Important stuff.

Calling Mac OS X users

Postby Aaron » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:43 am

Hi Everyone,

Following some encouraging progress with L3DT in Linux using Wine, I'd like to ask whether any Mac users had tried to install and run L3DT on OS X using Darwine? If so, could you describe any problems that you found?

If you'd like to give it a try, please download and install L3DT Standard v2.7 beta, as it's the most up-to-date and (hopefully) Darwine-friendly release thus far. Please reply to this forum thread with your findings.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby streamak » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:46 am

Hi.

I have tried, didnt work.. :)
streamak

Postby Aaron » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:13 am

Hi streamak,

Thanks for the feedback. I've heard from other users that L3DT works OK in OS X using Crossover 7.1 by Codeweavers, except for the Sapphire 3D renderer, as Crossover doesn't seem to properly support OpenGL yet. Windows emulation on the Mac seems to currently be a bit further behind the Linux situation, sadly. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Calling Mac OS X users

Postby richcon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:16 am

I was able to get L3DT Standard to install and run on a Mac using the free PlayOnMac (which is just a pretty wrapper and application manager for Wine). It's at http://www.playonmac.com/ .

I haven't tested everything on it yet, it's my first time even trying the program out. But it installed and seems to run fine.

Rich
richcon

Postby Aaron » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:47 pm

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the info. I must confess I haven't had much time lately to work on compatibility with Wine*, so I'm rather chuffed to hear that it ran on OS X. Please let me know if you find any weirdness, and thanks again for trying this out.

Best regards,
Aaron.

* I've been busy with the new memory manager, the 64 bit build, and the new plugin API (all for release 3.0).
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby icckleblackcat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:13 pm

I can confirm that this works as far as i've been able to test with the "Play On Mac" package. I haven't tested in crossover. That said I am very new to L3DT at the mo having just purchased it for Torque 3D so i'm no authority.

Apart from that it does seem noticeably (I could even say substantially) slower that when running in a VM through VMWare Fusion.

Either way I can't be certain about the whole process yet having been bitten by the contiguous memory problem in both cases.
icckleblackcat

Return to Announcements