L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

L3DT v2.9 build 11 fails when creating a lightmap

Please report software faults here.

L3DT v2.9 build 11 fails when creating a lightmap

Postby chieling » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:49 am

L3DT fails while creating a lightmap. This happened in both builds 10 and 11.

I have emailed you the logs for this issue Aaron. I just want to make sure you were aware to look for the email.

thank you very much!

[Edited to correct version/build numbers - AT]
[Edited again to replace 'crashes' with 'fails', since it didn't actually crash - AT]
chieling
Contributing member

Re: L3DT v2.9 build 11 crashes while creating a lightmap

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:44 am

Hi Chieling,

Thanks for the bug report. The log shows that L3DT didn't crash (i.e. exit unexpectedly), but rather that the light map generation failed and threw some errors to the log, and you then clicked a few menu options before closing the program manually. Is this correct?

The actual error seems seems to be due to a missing file. Can you confirm whether this file exists:

C:\Users\[your username]\L3DT\Projects\TN\southern_sorrowmere_TN_x0y28.png

I'm testing L3DT now using the settings from your project. I'll post back here with my findings.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi Chieling,

Erm, I found no bugs when I generated the light map using your settings, using v2.9 build 11 (build 10 is the same; no changes to light mapping).

Could I humbly impose upon some other users in the forum to run a test for us? This is a reasonably large map (4k x 4k heightfield, 16k x 16k texture), so please don't try this unless you're not intending to use a computer for anything else for a few hours*. Anyway, if you're a wonderful person with some spare CPU cycles, and a license to L3DT Pro, please download and save the following map definition file:

http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/downloads/temp/test%20for%20chieling.def.xml

[you may need to use the 'File->Save page as' menu option in your browser to save the XML file]

If you then drop this file on the desktop icon for L3DT, the map generation will commence. Please post back here with your findings (errors or not). It would be really great to know if this is a widespread problem, or is somehow specific to some systems.

Best regards,
Aaron.

* a shade over two hours, according to my Intel Core2 Q6600 system.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby chieling » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:26 pm

Aaron:

I cannot confirm that file existed or not because i tried to create that area from the beginning and it worked when i tried the third time.

this is what had happened....

the first time, I created the area (detail map) and the heightmap and saved the project. i then clicked the rest of the options on the calc button and let it work. when it got to the lighting part, the errors came up. I then went and made sure all the work was saved and rebooted. when the system came back up, i started at the heightfield map (since i liked the way the detail map looked) and went step by step saving after each step. when it got to the lighting map, it errored again and i sent you the logs.

thats when i went back, started completely over (from scratch) and saved after each step and it worked the third time.

my question is when is that missing file supposed to be created?

thanks again for your prompt response!
chieling
Contributing member

Postby David Walters » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:30 pm

I'm only using the official 2.9 Pro build (build zero?), but FWIW this script ran successfully for me (in 1:53:53) on a 4Gb Vista x64 machine.

A Q6600 CPU too I think, it's quad core @ 2.4Ghz anyway.

Hope this helps.
David Walters
Doyen

Postby chieling » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:53 pm

thanks for tryin David, i really appreciate it.

this seems like an intermittant error (even on my end :( ) so im not sure how easy it will be to track down.

it may be easiest(?) to do a file chk before the next step or after a step is supposed to be completed to assure that the files are there. no idea.
chieling
Contributing member

Re: L3DT v2.9 build 11 fails when creating a lightmap

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:48 pm

Hi Chieling,

The file was supposed to be created by the terrain normal generator, and may indeed have existed but could not be opened for other reasons (opened by another process, system out of memory, I don't know). Thus I was asking whether it existed, just to help determine what sort of problem we have. Please let me know if it happens again, and I'll keep testing just in case.

Best regards,
Aaron.

PS: Since L3DT didn't 'crash' (i.e. throw an exception and die unexpectedly), but merely detected an error and aborted a calculation controllably, I have renamed this thread. Crashes are a much more serious class of bug.

PPS: Thanks David for lending us your electrons and silicon!
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby chieling » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:05 am

Aaron:

I ran into this again over the weekend. i completely forgot to send you the logs, but i DID notice when it happened.

I made a terrain in the design map. saved that. i then had other stuff to do so i went to the wizard, clicked everything and left. when i came back, it had errored as mentioned before. I then rebooted and built it step by step, saving inbetween each step. it then worked fine and exported into T3D perfectly.

I dont know if that added info might help any.
chieling
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:34 pm

Hi Chieling,

Thanks for the extra info. Unfortunately, that's the code path David and I tested without finding errors. Does this happen every time you queue-up multiple maps, or is it still somewhat random?

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Bug reports