L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Any plans to make a *.fbx exporter?

Correspondence concerning plugins and scripts; development, use, bugs and ideas.

Any plans to make a *.fbx exporter?

Postby miko » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:59 pm

Well, I just stumbled over the Autodesk fbx SDK and was wondering if there is a *.fbx export plugin planned for L3DT (couldn't find any existing)?
If not, I might take the up the challenge and try if I could "port" my DXStudio plugin. Just asking to avoid (possible) double work...
Thanks.
miko
Contributing member

Re: Any plans to make a *.fbx exporter?

Postby Aaron » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:33 am

Hi Miko,

FBX was requested a while ago, but I've got no firm plans to implement the format. I am, however, writing a COLLADA plugin, which should fulfil the same need for a flexible exchange format with broad application support.

Cheers,
Aaron.

Edit: The COLLADA plugin is now available.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby miko » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:03 pm

Aaron,

thanks for that info. Aye, I would agree that fbx is not really mandatory, as the available formats do cover things well.
Just to see how that SDK works, I had a play with it nevertheless. For now, I'm able to export an untextured fbx mesh and import into DXStudio and Carrara.
It greatly fails with my other test cases, though (which are XNA and Quicktime). So, not fully there yet (actually, not even half way, I feel, haha).

Reporting back here in case I really get it done :twisted:

Greets
miko

Image1.png
Image1.png (77.97 KiB) Viewed 30434 times
miko
Contributing member

Postby miko » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:51 pm

Ok, here we go now with a first BETA version of my FBX exporter plugin. Not saying it is fully bullet-proof yet, but could import into DXStudio, XNA, Carrara and Quicktime Plugin for testing so far. A special feature (that gave me quite some headaches, tbh) is XNA+normalmap. This is a bit special to handle, but should work now, too.
This download contains the mk_L3DTio_FBX.zeo and a *.pdf with instructions. The overall layout is quite similar to my mk_L3DTio_DXStudio.

http://www.mikoweb.eu/tmp/20110630_Beta ... ad_FBX.zip

I'd appreciate if people would have a play with it and see how the import works with their apps - and if there are important features missing.
Thanks.
miko
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:31 pm

Hi Miko,

That’s magnificent! I shall be sure to mention your DXMESH and FBX plugins in the release announcements for 11.XX. Do you have a permanent-ish URL to which I can link for the FBX plugin? I’ve got both your plugins listed on the file I/O plugin index, but the FBX link is just to your zip archive, and the URL for that looks a tad temporary.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby miko » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks for listing the download, Aaron. Ah, yeah, a better link is now available: Please use "http://www.mikoweb.eu/index.php?node=60".
While on it, could you maybe change the author name to "MiKo"? That would better fit to my forum name then.

As for the source of the two plugins: I'm eventually providing a download aswell, but want to iron out bugs first (tbh, I'm not comfortable with the code structure either, and feel a bit embarrassed to give away that spaghetti-code-at-its-best). The state "as is now" is available to everyone on request, though.

Cheers
miko
miko
Contributing member

Postby miko » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:39 pm

Uops, on an unrelated note: The link to the "L3DT Professional 11.07 beta 1" download seems to be broken (for Standard, it works)?
miko
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:54 pm

Hi Miko,

Thanks for the heads-up re: the broken installer link. It's fixed now. I've also updated the link and your username on the plugin index.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby miko » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:57 pm

Thanks Aaron. Meanwhile, the source files of the DXMesh and FBX exporter are available on my homepage for download.
Uploaded those without major changes, as I got a bit side tracked by another exporter idea. Might improve the code when bug fixing later. :roll:

This is what I'm on currently. Trying to "rasterize" the L3DT terrain into a hexagon tile map that could be used with strategy games et al. Vertical faces and proper texturing missing in this picture, tho. Now, let see how this could work. :mrgreen:

Greets
miko

Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (72.74 KiB) Viewed 30387 times
miko
Contributing member

Postby Telarus » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:22 am

That is really, really, REALLY cool. I could totally use an exporter that tiled the terrain in Hexes.
Telarus
Doyen

Return to Plugins and scripts