L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Errors when applying climate

Please report software faults here.

Errors when applying climate

Postby Hakello » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:50 am

When applying climates on the attributes map with <autocalc>, I got these errors with a custom climate, however, once it happened it will happen to every climate untill I reboot l3dt. I think it happened because I said ocean on height 0, grass from height 1, as the error stopped occuring when I simply gave ocean a higher score on height 0, and allowed grass everywhere.

Code: Select all
zeofunc_calc_AM_GetPixel2 error:
 - call to calc_AM_GenPixel2 failed

atAttribBrush::ExtApplyBrushAM error:
 - call to 'calc.AM.GenPixel2' function failed

CL3DTView::AttribBrush_ApplyAM error:
 - script failed

//when I click again:
CL3DTio_BackupApp::InitEditRecord error:
 - edit record is already initialised

zeofunc_calc_AM_GetPixel2 error:
 - call to calc_AM_GenPixel2 failed

atAttribBrush::ExtApplyBrushAM error:
 - call to 'calc.AM.GenPixel2' function failed

CL3DTView::AttribBrush_ApplyAM error:
 - script failed

This is happening on l3dt standard v11.09 dev build 3

Another error that keeps popping up
Code: Select all
L3DTio_BackupApp::AddMapAreaToEditRecord error:
 - y coords are invalid

//I don't get them at the same time, its either the y one, or the x one over and over again

L3DTio_BackupApp::AddMapAreaToEditRecord error:
 - x coords are invalid

Good luck with them I guess!
Last edited by Hakello on Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hakello

Re: Errors when applying climate

Postby Aaron » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:19 am

Hi Hakello,

Thanks for the bug report. Can you please send me the climate file that causes the first error? (please send to aaron@bundysoft.com).

As for the second error you reported, can you please send me the full error log after it occurs? You can get to it from the Windows start menu under 'All programs->Bundysoft->L3DT [version]->L3DT logs'. In that directory, you will find a file called 'log.txt'. With the logfile, I will be able to work out what is going wrong.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Hakello » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:57 pm

Hello Aaron,

I've send a rar file which includes both the climate and the log file to aaron@bundysoft.com!

I have another "issue" tough, when I export my map as an "optimised mesh" the material names I assigned when making my climate aren't included. The textures work fine and all, but everything gets called terrain_mtl. I'm not sure if this is WAD, but it would save me a great deal of work if the material data could somehow be included with the export.

Thanks for the help, and good luck squashing those bugs :)
Hakello

Postby Aaron » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:37 am

Hi Hakello,

Thanks again for the bug report.

You correctly surmised that the problem was due to the gap in the altitude bands of your land types. Your climate was originally set up to exclude all land types between 0 and 1 metres of altitude. This meant that the brush tool, when applied on terrain between 0 and 1 metres of altitude (i.e. very near the shore), could not find a suitable land type, and threw the errors you observed.

The ‘proper’ fix for this problem would be for the climate editor to detect and warn/fix incomplete climates. I’ll put that on my to-do list. I have however fixed the brush tool to handle these errors gracefully, and simply skip the affected pixels without spawning error messages. I have also fixed the 'AddMapAreaToEditRecord' and 'InitEditRecord ' errors, which were caused by the brush tool not fully cancelling the brush stroke after the preceding errors occurred.

I have included these fixes with the next developmental build, which will be uploaded in the next few days once I've fully tested and benchmarked some other changes. I'll post back here when it's available.

Best regards,
Aaron.

PS: If you attempted to use any such incomplete climate as the default climate for the map or by painting them onto the design map, you will upset the attributes map generator for the same reason, which will throw errors and abort. There's probably no sense in having the attributes map generator skip over the affected pixels and continue to generate the whole map, as users will have to go back and manually find and fix all the invalid pixels in the map afterwards. In this case I think it's better for the calculation to fail promptly.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:04 am

Hi Hakello,

I have fixed these bugs in the latest build of L3DT (v11.10 build 5), which is on the downloads page now. Please let me know if problems persist, and thank you again for reporting these bugs.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Bug reports