L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Smallest 'brush' sizes in Heightmap 3D editor

Got a problem or need advice?

Smallest 'brush' sizes in Heightmap 3D editor

Postby markofjohnson » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:01 am

Hi, I'm using the bulldoze tool to create roads through moutains. If I use the smallest brush/tool size, its too small, if I use the next size up, its too big. I could really use a brush/tool size half way. Is that possible?
Many thanks
Mark Johnson.
markofjohnson

Re: Smallest 'brush' sizes in Heightmap 3D editor

Postby Aaron » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:30 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the bug report. There was an error in the scroll wheel event handler that stepped the brush radius from 1px to 3px, without the intervening 2px step. I have fixed this in the next developmental build, and I will post back here when it's available (some time between today and next weekend; sorry I can't be more precise!)

The broader problem is that the brush radius is stored as an integer, which noticeably limits the brush radius options at small brush sizes. A better way would have been for me to use a floating point number for the brush radius. This would, for instance, allow a brush width of 3px using a radius of 1.5. However that decision was made some time ago and cannot be quickly undone. Nonetheless, if the improved brush size option in the next build (i.e. 2px radius) is not adequate for your needs, I will pop a floating point brush radius on my to-do list.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby markofjohnson » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:04 pm

Hi Aaron. I'm continuing to use L3DT to make mountain roads, and its going great :D . Keeping the road width the same, and hence realistic, is important. Its sometimes not obvious if I selected the correct bulldozer tool radius. Can you add a numeric indication of the radius? This is not that important, but it would be helpful.

Many thanks.
markofjohnson

Postby Aaron » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi Mark,

Sure, I'll put it on the to-do list.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:28 am

Hi Mark,

I'm terribly sorry for the wait. This feature is now included in L3DT 16.03.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support