L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Don't steal window focus during computation

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Don't steal window focus during computation

Postby __m128 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:04 pm

When the calculations start (using the calculation wizard, for instance), L3DT steals the window focus. Even worse, the cancel button is preselected, so if I'm typing in visual studio when the calculating texture window pops up and I'm pressing space, it dissapears. It would be great if this can be disabled alltogether.
__m128

Re: Don't steal window focus during computation

Postby Aaron » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi __m128,

Thanks for the feedback. I've changed the progress window to not use the topmost style, so it won't steal focus when shown in future versions.

The historical reason for 'topmosting' * the progress window was to ensure it was above the L3DT main window at all times, as otherwise it is liable to get lost behind the main window. That was quite a problem, as it denied the user any useful progress display, prevented the user from cancelling the calculation, and generally made the user think the program had locked up or stopped for some reason. The topmost style fixed this problem, admittedly in one of the most distasteful, inconsiderate, and easy-to-implement ways.

For the next update I have made it so that the window is shown on top, but not topmost, and when L3DT is activated (i.e. alt-tabbed to, or clicked upon by the mouse), the progress window is brought back to the top (but not topmost). This means that the progress window should always sit above L3DT, or can be retrieved by clicking on L3DT, but it will never pop above the foreground application (if it's not L3DT, of course).

Even worse, the cancel button is preselected...

The cancel button is always given focus because the Windows dialog manager has to give input focus to a control, and it's the only control in the window that can accept input. That said, I was never too happy when some typing would inadvertently cancel a calculation.

Anyway, thanks again for the bug report. The fix will be in the next developmental build, which should be available within the next week or so.

Cheerio,
Aaron.

* apologies for wonton verbing.
Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Don't steal window focus during computation

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:34 pm

Hi __m128,

The latest developmental build of L3DT (12.03 build 0) no longer uses topmost progress windows. The installer is on the downloads page now. Please let me know if you find any further problems with it.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Feature requests