L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Blood, Grain and Steel

What are you up to?

Blood, Grain and Steel

Postby David Walters » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:36 pm

Hey everyone,

I've just about finished my first commercial indie game "Blood, Grain and Steel" a turn based strategy game for PC. I worked on this alone over the last year using L3DT, Silo and Blender as my 3D art tools. The game is played like Chess but on a board of different landscapes set into wooden tiles that define an overall environment made up of these simple "pocket worlds".

(click for bigger version)

(click for bigger version)

I used L3DT for what I suspect are the smallest terrains this program has ever been used for :D - a mere 2 units across with a polycount of around 1000 and texture budget of 512px square. I used the design map to make sure they were flatter at the edges and exported as optimised mesh with a suitably large "error margin" setting to keep the triangles down. In terms of usage they probably make up 50% of the 280 game boards included in the game, so it was important that they looked good!

The game is about to be sent off to my valiant team of testers and may come out in around a month providing nothing too nasty turns up. For more information please check out http://www.bloodgrainsteel.com

Thanks!

edit: updated image URLs
Last edited by David Walters on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Walters
Doyen

Re: Blood, Grain and Steel

Postby Telarus » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:49 pm

Nice work man.
Telarus
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:00 pm

Hi David,

Wow, that's really nice work. I'm terribly impressed by both the innovative concept and the polished execution (soundtrack is good too!) The parallels with chess are most intriguing, as are the strategic and tactical planes. I look forward to the release with considerable interest. I hope it does very well.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby David Walters » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:53 pm

Aaron wrote:I look forward to the release with considerable interest. I hope it does very well.

I never thanked you for these kind words! :oops:

I've just launched the game so if you'd like to give the demo a try then head on over to http://www.bloodgrainsteel.com/

Hope you like it :-)

Thanks again,
David
David Walters
Doyen

Return to Users' projects