L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Climate folder corruption

Please report software faults here.

Climate folder corruption

Postby David Walters » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:12 am

Hi, I'm really sorry because I don't know how this happened, but in Pro 12.06.0 I have the following error log appear whenever I start L3DT:

LoadCLI_XML error:
- invalid file extension

CL3DTApp::LoadClimateIni error:
- LoadCLI failed for 'C:\Users\David\L3DT\Resources\Pro 12.06.0.0\Climates\arctic26\Arctic26-dsw.cli.cli.xml.cli.xml'

If I manually delete the "Arctic26-dsw.cli.cli.xml.cli.xml" file I get this error instead (again, every time) :

CL3DTApp::LoadClimateIni error:
- Climate file not found at 'C:\Users\David\L3DT\Resources\Pro 12.06.0.0\Climates\arctic26\Arctic26-dsw.cli.cli.xml.cli.xml'

I've tried renaming the file to just "Arctic26-dsw.cli.xml" and that just created this same error (second one).

The climate is not listed in the manager so I'm unable to really do anything about it.

I'm sure this climate is registered somewhere else but if it's not showing in the manager list and the file isn't there, could it perhaps silently remove the file from whatever list / registry is looking for my custom climate instead of giving an error every time? (it's not exactly crippling my workflow or anything though)

If you'd like me to send you copies of any particular file from my system I'll be more than happy to oblige.

Regards,
David
David Walters
Doyen

Re: Climate folder corruption

Postby David Walters » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:29 am

Okay I accidentally stumbled over a solution and I think I can explain the problem a bit better now.

The new climate dialog allows you to create (or manually enter) a filename with a super long file extensions "Arctic26-dsw.cli.cli.xml.cli.xml", etc. You might do this unwittingly, but you can do it explicitly too. This is the bug I reported a few days back.

In my post above I've discovered that the startup code ( somewhere in LoadCLI_XML, I presume ) fails when it sees these crazy file extensions, and so does the 'Load' button from the Climate manager. I guess technically that's also a bug, but I also think "Arctic26-dsw.cli.cli.xml.cli.xml" is a cruel and unusual punishment for any function call!

Anyway in an effort to get more information I renamed my climate in the folder to just "Arctic26-dsw.cli.xml". I got the file not found error on startup but happily this new XML file then loaded fine through the manager and showed up in the list. The file not found error happened every time I ran L3DT though. I then clicked 'remove' in the manager and "Artic (DSW)" went away, but so did the error about the phantom long filename version. So I can now load L3DT without any errors, hooray.

Hopefully that all makes sense, it was probably largely redundant information!! anyway I fixed the problem and discovered a way to cause it reliably.

Hope this helps,
David
David Walters
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for the bug report. In the next build the climate editor will automatically trim the file name such as the only allowed extension will be '.cli.xml'. I've also modified the climate list loader so that if a climate file is missing (deleted, renamed, etc.) the error message is quietly written to the logfile rather than shown in the event log window. These changes should, I think, address all the problems you found.

Best regards,
Aaron.

PS: The list of climates is stored in the climates.ini.xml file in the application settings folder, typically:

C:\users\[username\AppData\Roaming\Bundysoft\L3DT\[version]\Settings\climates.ini.xml
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby David Walters » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Excellent, thank you!

Regards,
David
David Walters
Doyen

Return to Bug reports