L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Add lines or planes to Sapphire view?

Got a problem or need advice?

Add lines or planes to Sapphire view?

Postby totty » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Hi there,

I am a new user of L3DT, and am using it for the somewhat unusual purpose of displaying scientific data (2D histograms) in 3D landscapes. Obviously this is "for fun", but actually it's amazingly useful to see different populations of data as hills and bumps.

What I would like to do is add trendlines to my data. Is there any easy, hacky or tricky way of adding a line, arrow or a 2D plane to the 3D view to represent a direction?

Thanks!
totty

Re: Add lines or planes to Sapphire view?

Postby Aaron » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:49 am

Hi Totty,

I hesitate to say this, but yes, there is a secret method for adding custom geometry to Sapphire, and it’s both hacky and tricky: you would need to define your line in an OBJ mesh file, which can be loaded into Sapphire using the ‘Sapphire load mesh’ script, which I may or may not have bundled with the installer (I'll look ito this).

However, unless your need is urgent, I would not recommend you try this method. Instead, I will implement a script that will allow you to import lines from CSV files containing a list of X/Y/Z coordinates. I'll let you know when it's available for testing.

Best regards,
Aaron.n
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby totty » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:08 am

Aaron,

I'm giggling at the ArmyMan2 zmesh object. I thought it was blades of grass, but my landscape is covered in little green men.

I would REALLY appreciate if the lines could be added as you suggested from CSV values, but I will play with the Mesh load objects script too, as it gives me some other ideas for my data sets.

Many, many thanks,

Totty
totty

Postby Trips » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:58 pm

Any update on this?
Trips

Postby Aaron » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi Trips,

Thank you for the reminder. This was mostly implemented; I think that all I had left to do was build an interface to allow users to load the CSV files. I'll get back onto this as soon as time permits. I apologise for the delay.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support