L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

World Texture Repository

Cool programs, tutorials, texture libraries, et cetera.

Postby Aaron » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:12 pm

Hello DT,

DeathTwister wrote:I have just downloaded a bit back the BricksNTiles software and have a ton of new Textures to process so lets see how they come out and I think I am about ready to get the uploads started in the next few days or so after I get a handle on what is going on here around the home front, now I can hang here for a bit and not on the road, /groans at the thought.

Whew, pause for a breath before you pass out. That's one long sentence.

DeathTwister wrote:I had trouble with the other one and tried to have a email sent back to my email address for the code and it never came back.

That sounds like the SMTP settings weren't configured right. I'm sure Gallery2 can send mail OK (we are talking about Gallery2, aren't we?)

DeathTwister wrote: Having said that we need to set up Planetary continents, and I would like to set up somehow a way to input the textures on a Latitude longitude basis if that is possible? I have no programming skills so don't know how easy it would be to set that up???

You can add custom fields in Coppermine, but you won't be able to search by lat/lon without customising the PHP scripts yourself. Just a thought - would it not be easier if you entered country/region instead (or additionally)? Lat/lon is precise, but not as readily accessible.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby JavaJones » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:15 am

I agree, I think custom fields for location would be better.

I personally prefer Gallery2. It sounds like the problems you had with gallery were, er, minor. I mean you couldn't have tested it that much, you didn't even upload any images to it. ;)

What really matters is how well it all works, how robust it is, etc. I have found Gallery2 recently to be more full-featured and capable. Just for a small but very important example I was unable to get Coppermine to accept images above about 2MB, whereas Gallery 2 happily took a 4+MB image. If we're going to be having textures at full resolution this is critical. Now this may be a misconfiguration of Coppermine on my part, I don't know, but Gallery2 was not hard to get going with this...

One thing I know is Gallery2 is currently setup for manual authorization of signups. So you may not have had access for a while until I approved your signup. But you should now be an admin.

I suggest you play around with both systems a good deal more, especially trying to push the systems (upload multiple pictures at once, upload large pictures, make new albums, etc.). A single upload in only *one* of the systems up for test does not an adequate appraisal make. :D You have admin privileges in both and you'll be running this show, at least in part, so I also suggest you check out the config options for each and see which you prefer. You can't really break anything, and if you do I can fix it, so don't worry too much about experimenting.

The most important thing is that you get a good idea of what each system is capable of and how it feels to actually work with them. I can't imagine you've gotten a good impression from such limited use.

- Oshyan
Visit Outland - Off the beaten path...
JavaJones
Doyen

Postby DeathTwister » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:04 am

Ahh I C,

Yes you are probably right and I have also gotten used to coppermine with Aarons set up here so I will go dive into it this weekend as Shon is going to be in Takilma this weekend, and I get a weekend off, hahaha... So I will get into gallery 2 this Saturday then. Sounds good, and I will email you if I have any trouble getting into any thing via email until I am in and get a chance to look around so to speak but yes that does sound way cool and if so yup better to go with gallery 2. Long day today this 55 year old fart road 44 miles today on my bike, up and back a 1750 foot climb, and mezas butt is more then a bit weary so I will put them out of their misery and go to bed hahahaha.

Hay brother you are a very good man for all your help, I really thank you very much for all the help you are giving us to get this idea off and running, and I know I need your help as I am not exactly sure how to set demographics up yet, but will have a clearer picture after I peruse Gallery 2 more I hope.

DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby JavaJones » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:51 am

Sounds good. If you still prefer Coppermine after testing with both then that's fine. But do give 'em both a good work-out before you decide. And anyone else who wants to do the same (if you're particularly interested in this texture repository you might want to have a say in what system we use) can contact me privately.

- Oshyan
JavaJones
Doyen

Postby SeerBlue » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:57 am

Just popped in to say I am glad it is still inwork, I will leave the hard technical thingy ma jigging to the people with more of a clue than me, as long as it has an interface for the technically inept and usually half asleep I will defineately be posting to it. SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Postby DeathTwister » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:19 pm

Yup yup,

Still working on it /smiles.

OK I am in with Gallery 2, but I am having a bit of a problem trying to figure out how to set up some of this. The latitude and longatude is a problem as I see it. My programmer will look to see how the data base is set up, so we can I hope set up some kind of system for the textures. So I need to read the docs which I have not done yet, just spin dials and punch buttons to see what I can learn quick about the new software. Anyway meza on the case and will get back to ya'll soon.

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:05 pm

Hay Java and all da other brothers and sisters around here,

OK I have been working with Gallery 2 a bit and it does seem to be pretty good over all, so Ok lets go with that one as default I guess :wink: . But I am a bit befuddled on how to set up "Latitude & Longitude" , Continent, States, Countries and so on. Does anyone have a good idea on how to set that up?

My Programmer says it is all data base driven and he will look at the code we have soon to see how that may be achieved, but in the mean time I will read the docs more, as I have not yet. Hardly ever do really, ( read docs I mean) just spin dials as I learn fast that way, but in this case I will hit the books, ROTFL hahahahaha.........

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:51 am

Hi DT,

DeathTwister wrote:Does anyone have a good idea on how to set that up?

I don't know about Gallery2, but in Coppermine you set up custom fields by going to the config page, select the 'custom fields for image descriptions' option, and enter the field names (eg Country, State/Region, etc). I imagine it would be pretty similar for Gallery2.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:31 pm

Hay,

Aaron Wrote:
I don't know about Gallery2, but in Coppermine you set up custom fields by going to the config page, select the 'custom fields for image descriptions' option, and enter the field names (eg Country, State/Region, etc). I imagine it would be pretty similar for Gallery2.

I was in that area where you do that, but I was not sure exactly what I wanted or exactly how to go about it, so I am going to stick my head into the docs and I will get it /smiles....But I have found that stuff, so now I have to figure out how to get it set up. And find the time to get it all done /wry smile............Just have to play with it more is all.

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby JavaJones » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:19 am

It's in the admin interface, under Extra Data, Custom Fields. I've added a few for examples. You can even do multiple choice, so we could pre-populate some fields if we wanted. :)

Note: The custom fields will only show up if they are filled out. I've filled them out on my one example image in the gallery as well as one of yours just for illustration purposes. The "custom field" title text can be changed by editing the theme if desired (could say like "location info" or whatever). All this info is fully searchable too, just type into the text box upper left.

Note2: When editing a photo you need to press the "custom" tab up top to specify custom field data.

- Oshyan
JavaJones
Doyen

Postby DeathTwister » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:28 pm

Woo Hoo KK,

I will work on it this weekend when my partner gets back so When I get into trouble he can help me climb out ok hahahahaha....Think I will be needing him on some of this but will look at it this morning where you said to go. Your the elf Java your the Elf. err man if you like, I like Elf better rotfl.

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby JavaJones » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:45 am

Hey DT, I know you're busy this month, as am I. Just wanted to check in and see where you're at. If you've made a decision on which system to go with and there's no major modifications that need doing, then all we need to do is setup some initial categories and set people loose! So maybe we should open it up soon? Let me know. :)

- Oshyan
JavaJones
Doyen

Postby DeathTwister » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:55 am

Hay bro,

Well I had decided even though I do not know it as well to go with your favorite and I have set some stuff up. I have a huge download of some killer Textures I took in Klamath a bit back that is ready to upload. SO let's go with your favorite and call it a day. I mainly need to figure out how to set up Coordinates for the area that the Texture is from.

As soon as I can get AWM up and running should be the next few days and my atomizer back on line next 24 hors or so, and I am almost done working on a very famous clothing Couture designer who is a very dear friend of mine, and one quick Logo for a product to design, and I should have time to get back into this some. Sorry I am so busy guys, but Wooo what a last few months, /chuckles and for the most part all to the good.

By the way I should when done link that site as the Models in it are awesome to look at, and some very cool people in there. Fun part is in the fall I get to go photograhp all those sexy ladies and hopefully have my way with one or 2 /winks. And the nice thing is Melody want's me to get some of them, she says one or 2 of the ones I want are really nice ladies and not head hunters. Humm, maybe make a .png of a Nude and bring it in as a Mountain of a lady ROTFL OMG I have to go try that one later today.

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby JavaJones » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:45 am

Alright, sounds good. I'm basically going to make the "landing page" into the gallery for now. You can setup whatever intro page or content system around it that you want to when you have time. In the meantime the site will be "live" and accepting uploads plus allowing downloads. I will leave all your current uploads there so remove any that you don't want up there, or organize them if you can.

- Oshyan
JavaJones
Doyen

Postby DeathTwister » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:55 pm

Hay guys,

Ok sounds great. But if you would give me until Sunday night? as I Think I need that time to go in and make sure all is where I want it to be, but then ya ya, lets go live and wing it on the fly.

One last question if I may. if we did do a landing page very simple at first I think we could also use a Forum to talk about the graphics in there as well for feedback and issues as we all know we got em, ROTFL heheheh /chuckles, so...

What ya think guys? we can use a Forum in there as well? I think we do and maybe make it easier for us, maybe not but I still think it would be good to have a forum on that page and it is not to hard to do and keep maintained.

I can go set that one up easy or you Java, makes no never mind to me, but I do think we will end up needing one if we don't set it up now is all.

Ok brothers I am getting ready for theatomizer to be back up, and we almost have our world market live so going back to that so I can go play on the WTR (World Texture Repository) by the way what is the URL for us when we do go Live? so peeps will know? I had mine in a link before this computer went belly up and I know I have it somewhere just need to find it hahaha, so don't have it handy, besides that wont be the URL when we go live so maybe give us a heads up if you would bro.

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

PreviousNext

Return to Useful resources