L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

ATOMIX Live streaming Music on the web

Rants and raves, mostly.

ATOMIX Live streaming Music on the web

Postby DeathTwister » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:10 pm

Hay all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I wanted to share some fun stuff with you all. Well it is KEWL for us anyway.

In the state of Oregon in the USA, is a town called Takilma, it is a little sleepy hippie community that is a wonderful place to go play and relax. In August we are going to release www.indiemusicsociety.org & .com into the world. We still have to point the URL to a server yet and that will be done in the next couple of weeks to get ready for later in the summer.

The radio Station in Takilma just went live streaming radio around the world in the last few weeks and Spacemen aka Leo is a great DJ and an awesome dude besides. He and his group is coming on board with us in the Music Society as there are over 30 or so more DJ's that are coming back on board with him, as he used to during the 60's be a pretty killer pirate radio station and used to travel all over the place to keep the FCC's off their back ROTFL. Now he is doing it world wide and has a Killer station on the Internet.

Go to http://www.takilmafm.com/ and check out all the KOOL Music from the 60's-70's that he is playing. He has been playing our music that we have written real heavy this last week, it is getting great reviews and if you want to hear us, go there and either call, if in the states or email him and ask him to play the music of Maylock & Shon. any album will do we have 3 we released, but either Phoenix Rising or Exploration in Magic will get you some good music we feel we have written, and I guess allot of other people are agreeing with us as it is moving on it's own now.

I have played many instruments professionally in my life and am always learning more to study as I love music allot as well as my art, and like to write and compose music I hear in that pea brain I call my mind. I play 2 instruments very well and few more pretty well. So go check it out, if you have high speed you can run it in the background and get some very good music to listen to. Thanks guys hope you like it.

DeathTwister
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby monks » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:47 pm

Hi DT, let us know when indiemusicsoc goes live, I'll certainly drop by.

KOOL Music from the 60's-70's that he is playing. He has been playing our music that we have written real heavy this last week, it is getting great reviews and if you want to hear us, go there and either call, if in the states or email him and ask him to play the music of Maylock & Shon. any album will do we have 3 we released, but either Phoenix Rising or Exploration in Magic will get you some good music we feel we have
written, and I guess allot of other people are agreeing with us as it is moving on it's own now.

I've tuned in - not stuff I immediately recognised- great to hear you folks getting mobilised and on the airwaves. I'll keep an ear out for your albums. Best of luck my friend! :wink:
I listened to the anti-Bush regime demonstrations- or the pro-sanity demo as one might call it. Hmmm, things are gonna get a LOT worse, trsut me. It's not too difficult to be anti-Bush, you just need to breathe. :twisted:

I have played many instruments professionally in my life and am always learning more to study as I love music allot as well as my art, and like to write and compose music I hear in that pea brain I call my mind. I play 2 instruments very well and few more pretty well. So go check it out, if you have high speed you can run it in the background and get some very good music to listen to. Thanks guys hope you like it.

As a musician myself, I had to bite :) I was wondering what the music resources were on ATOMIX.
I actually teach music, mainly privately, from home if I can help it- must keep the ME-DEM treadmill turning so I often can't stray more than my chain yank will allow :lol:
I can't claim to be so polyphonic as yourself: I don't play lots of instruments, like some musicians do. I actually have a degree in music: classical guitar hum very posh :lol: so I had to learn and used to teach some piano too- (it always struck me as such a superior instrument to the guitar in many ways, especially for composition). I sold my digital piano a couple of years ago :cry: I teach rock/blues guitar whenever I can- that's where I gets my kicks (though not too many in teaching let me tell you) -hehe. I've even dabbled in jazz but I have a real dislike for jazz musos and a lot of jazz, yes that was kind of a failed experiment...: give me ACDC and Motorhead any day.
What instruments do you play?
Hey, I also compose/write, so we seem to have lots in common pal, Tends to be home studios these days- how about yourself? Ever used VST, samplers?

Hurry on sundown, see what tomorrow brings...

Cheers,
monks
monks
Oracle

Postby monks » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:03 pm

...just sat here preparing some L3DT terrain shots and tuned in to Tiakilma: listening to Janis Joplin and Jimmy Hendrix- yeah, that'll do me 8)

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby DeathTwister » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:18 pm

KEWL,

Yaya they have some killer old albums I have not heard in some cases since the 60's as they are all old bands that didn't go world wide and got lost in the shuffle.
Spaceman sent me a email and said he has been playing our music from 6pm-around 10pm every night. I guess we seem to be a pretty big hit it's looking like there. That is -8 hours Grenich mean time I think here on the Calif/Oregon west coast timeline for anyone in different time lines. I also will be doing a live interview on the http://www.indiemusicsociety.org portal in a couple of weeks. I'll try and give you all a heads up when I do.

I am glad and I kinda figured there would be musicians in the crowd here so to speak. Most artist are multi-talented in things and do more then just art or programming :wink: yes I will keep everyone up to date on this as we feel this will be huge as it grows and we plan to make it much bigger the MP3.com was, and will not sell out like they did.

If there are any old songs or bands you haven't heard of in years, ask Spaceman, he will play it if he gots it. He are working converting a bunch of old albums people found from the 60's of all the not so known bands that were in that era, so in the weeks to come allot of lost music will start getting played as well I am told. Should be a killer site for anyone that has High speed.

So email your requests in tell them from where you are as it is tripping him out that people are coming from all over the world to hear his music radio station so far. So if you are from the UK, Ausie land, France, new england, Texas, where ever, let him know when you request music. OK thanks for enjoying this little tid bit of info for you guys. This will grow as it goes along so have fun.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby SeerBlue » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:07 pm

okay guys, what are you using to listen, real player pops up for me (probably my accidental default) but no playee any tunes SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Postby monks » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:48 pm

Seer, WMP opens up here- that seems fine. I'm not sure of way of setting the default- Control Panel perhaps?

Yaya they have some killer old albums I have not heard in some cases since the 60's as they are all old bands that didn't go world wide and got lost in the shuffle.

I used to listen to a LOT of that stuff in my wilder days. Lettin my freak flag fly- hahah- You can always find a few gems if you look hard enough.

Spaceman sent me a email and said he has been playing our music from 6pm-around 10pm every night. I guess we seem to be a pretty big hit it's looking like there. That is -8 hours Grenich mean time I think here on the Calif/Oregon west coast timeline for anyone in different time lines.

Ok, so if I tune in early morning onwards I should hear some of your stuff-

I also will be doing a live interview on the www.indiemusicsociety.org portal in a couple of weeks. I'll try and give you all a heads up when I do.

Sounds good.

I am glad and I kinda figured there would be musicians in the crowd here so to speak. Most artist are multi-talented in things and do more then just art or programming yes I will keep everyone up to date on this as we feel this will be huge as it grows and we plan to make it much bigger the MP3.com was, and will not sell out like they did.

hehe- selling out- would that I had the chance! Renderosity has been running a series on musicians who dabble with the graphihc arts- so that certainly bears that out. I suppose it's the creative thing + there's so much of the computer in music now too.

If there are any old songs or bands you haven't heard of in years, ask Spaceman, he will play it if he gots it.

I'm thinking Hawkwind- a British band, Frank Zappa...not so obscure I suppose. I'm bound to think of a few more...I'll drop him an email.

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby JavaJones » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:08 pm

Hmm, unfortunate that their stream is in Windows Media format. Much less widely compatible than say MP3. Windows Media will be slightly higher quality for a given bitrate, but it sucks having to use a player that is not standard for me. I don't suppose it's reasonable to ask them to change their streaming approach but if possible I'd say a Shoutcast-based system would be better. Mp3 or AAC based (or both). With Shoutcast you can even have it stream the name of the song and everything, plus it automatically gives you a web page with song history. :D Just a thought...

- Oshyan
Visit Outland - Off the beaten path...
JavaJones
Doyen

Postby DeathTwister » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:28 pm

Hay guys,

Yes there is a link to real player as well there somewhere for the station. And I will send the info you just gave us to him and we are going to be working on his website here in the weeks to come and we are intending of tearing into the manual and other kinds of streaming, but it is a very good start and getting people from all over the world now so he is very happy.

Please feel free top contact him and share ideas and such with Spaceman if (New or better software) you have any time to do so. And if you email him? let him know from where you are from, Monks sent him a email and it tripped him the fark out it came from the UK /smiles broadly. I know he has Hawkwind in the collection so I am sure he will play some Monks, and yaya I love them also, good Euro band from the past. So when you email them, let him know of your times you play based on -8 hours Grenich mean time.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby JavaJones » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:54 am

I listened for a while and they definitely played some great stuff. I wanted to listen more but it started saying the server was busy.

Realplayer isn't a better option as far as I'm concerned; worse really. Simple MP3 is just about as good as far as quality for bandwidth and it's by far the most compatible stream type. Realplayer, windows media player, Winamp, iTunes, and almost any other player can play it. This is not at all true for Windows Media or Real Media files.

I may e-mail the station but you can mention my comments to them if you want and if they are interested in talking more about it I'd be glad to do so. They can e-mail me or whatever.

- Oshyan
JavaJones
Doyen

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:01 pm

Hay Oshyan,

Morning yawn........coffee yum yum.......OK....sip

JavaJones Wrote:
I may e-mail the station but you can mention my comments to them if you want and if they are interested in talking more about it I'd be glad to do so. They can e-mail me or whatever.

You should, I am sure he would love to hear some feedback.
By the way, he has a bunch of the old DJ's are coming back so I will post the Itinerary's on the station when he sends it to me, I'll post it here. As I had said before this station is just now going from Regular radio station to a world wide one and it is taking him a bit. He is not computer savvy, so Shon and I are going to be helping out on the website, and yes so far all he has is Waves I think that he is streaming, but don't quot me on that one, but pretty sure, so yes we will go through it and get him to convert to MP3, as we agree with you completely. I will get to talking with him about that probably next week when I go up to Oregon for 2-3 days for the live interview we have planned. We are also waiting to get the manual for the software and over all set up for the station, so give us a bit and we will shake it down to get it running smooth.

About the busy part, I am thinking he is exceeding his bandwidth and you should mention that to him so he can talk with his host provider and get more bandwidth, OK? good thing you told me about that. I will make sure to pass that on and you should as well if you would if you email him.

he is a real COOL/KEWLcool dude and has been around a very long time and been part of much good things in the movements over the years. Yup yup good people. But not very computer savvy as I said so be gentle with him till he gets his computer legs somewhat ROTFL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby JavaJones » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:25 am

Just to be clear, Mp3 is the streaming format, not the storage format of the source. He's probably using wav or CD sources right now, which is fine, and he can continue to do that if he wants. But he's streaming in .wma Windows Media Audio, and I'm suggesting Mp3 as the streaming format instead.

Anyway maybe I'll e-mail him.

- Oshyan
JavaJones
Doyen

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:07 pm

Hay all,

Java Wrote:
Just to be clear, Mp3 is the streaming format, not the storage format of the source. He's probably using wav or CD sources right now, which is fine, and he can continue to do that if he wants. But he's streaming in .wma Windows Media Audio, and I'm suggesting Mp3 as the streaming format instead.

Actually it is we are pretty sure, We have been reading the docs on the software as he has asked us to help him finish setting it all up, WOW what a hoot and we are having a gas, and to answer your post, Hes is doing everything as you say. But he is streaming in mp3, but have to double check next time we up there, next weekend when I do the live interview about IMS.

We also want to be able to set up multiple streams at the same time if we can, that comes in a bit though we swamped atm, but we are thinking and figuring out how to do it. What a hoot a radio station to play with. /chuckles.

You should be able to actually use any player, but we have to figure out the coding for that and send it to them in a bit, so we are working on that now. so Bear with us boys we will get the player adjusted so it will work for most if not all players. It was hard codded into the web page and has to be adjusted somewhat. The browser has a default that you set up on your comp, so we just need to have a call to address the default player is all we need to do. So if anyone has a javascript or something that will call the default media player when you click on the link would be sweet, but we will write it if no one has handy. Just swamped ATM with what we are doing so it won't get done before next weekend or so. We will get it fixed then, just can't get it done before then sorry bout that.

Final note, we found that when we had trouble with it streaming, we went into our sound card and turned streaming on, as it wasn't and now we can hear it just fine on our dial up connection we have. Finally figured that part out. And there is 2 ISPs as well which needs some finessing but all in all we will have it in hand here soon.

It is also a real Radio Station up there in the mountains, a very cool place to live, I'll take some picture and get some textures when I go up next weekend so you can see. Hehe going to hang out at a nude swimming hole and I hope meet some nice hippie ladies and get you know what. :wink:

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:12 pm

A quick note,
Our Music is in Rotation and not sure what that means exactly or how many times a day that is per song but we iz getting air time, so we have it on in the backround while we are working, so liston on guys, as they are playing a killer mix right now whoever they are hahahahahahaha. I'll request later when he gets home, and he is DJing, as I don't know the other DJs yet. OH I love that song, ok going to get back to work and turn the sound up for this song.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:46 pm

Update:

From 7:30am to after 8am they did a 40 minute music set with us, Pluss a live interview about some of our music and what we are up to right now.

I waved to all of you guys around the world saying Hi to Aaron, Monks and all of you dudes in General, sorry if I forgot any names but It was a surprise with the live phone/radio interview and we sure didn't have any time to prepare for it.
I will when I go up to Takilma in 2 weeks for that interview have more time to prepare and I will say hi from a list like they do at Oskar time, so I don't forget any of my World brothers.

Anyway just wanted to say hi to you all, and WOW are we stocked going from local to world wide audience, What a hoot. Hahah I promise not to forget you all if I get rich and famous ROTFLROTFL ROTFL.........yes please email him and let him know where you are from, as he is trying to listen to all your requests. He is having a gas getting your emails brothers so keep it up when you get the time. He plays Killer music along with the other DJs.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby JavaJones » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:27 am

It looks like they are using Streamhoster who say they support Real Media, Windows Media and Quicktime. They say nothing of MP3, although all 3 should support MP3 as a format. It's the container format that is key, really.

In any case the current stream really pisses off Winamp, my main audio player, when I try to play it. I can't say why. URLSnooper tells me there are MP3 files behind that stream address, but it lists multiple, all of which are static, so they wouldn't be live streaming radio. I downloaded the .asx file that the website link goes to and it points to two .asf files, which are Windows Media Streaming format. Loading either of those URL's in Winamp manually works fine to listen in and Winamp tells me they're "WMServer9.1" (Windows Media Server). So yeah, it looks like Windows Media is being used here. I guess it's the format of the .asx that is pissing off Winamp. I'm curious if anyone else has trouble with players other than Windows Media Player.

Anyway Shoutcast really is pretty cool as far as all of this is concerned. It can easily support multiple streams, multiple DJ's, and it actually tells you what song is playing, which is nice. :D It also automatically provides you with a website that shows the last x songs played (selectable by you), and you can customize that page to allow requests to be made through it, etc. There's a lot you can do. And hey, it's free. The server and bandwidth are the expensive part. ;)

- Oshyan
JavaJones
Doyen

Next

Return to Off topic