L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Image of the Month Competition: January

Announcements and chatter regarding the image of the month competition.

Image of the Month Competition: January

Postby Aaron » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:05 am

Hello Everyone,

Happy new year! The image of the month competition for January 2007 is now open, and the theme - as selected by Tillot - is Tropical Beaches. Further instructions/rules are on the competition page (please read them.) Note also that there are two categories; realtime and non-realtime. You can enter up to three entries in each category. Happy rendering!

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:05 pm

Hay guys,

Wow thanks for the award all. For those that voted for my "StarQuest", I am humbled, but also by all of your works as well. This website has some very good artists & Crafts people in terrain building and art and all could and should have won something as well. It was so hard for me trying to decide who I would vote for because it was all so very well done. Bravo to all that voted in the competitions this last year, and contributed to the craft over this last year as well. It will only get better from now on /winks.......

I am working on a TG2 version of the StarQuest terrain for the Island beashes contest. But the learning curve for me with TG2 is much harder then it was with Vue. mainly because TG2 is so much more a real terrain world building program then Vue is, 5 or 6 from what I have seen so far. And while I do like Vue allot? I think TG2 in the end will be Hella head and shoulders above Vue if it was a compitition.

So with luck I will enter my first TG2 works for that if I can get it together, but I have been having trouble with it, mainly me I am sure understanding new concepts as I see other people doing stuff that makes my Jaw drop open and let the flies in, WOW some awesome work being done right now in TG2. But since I have been hella bussy as usual, so I have just not had the time I wish I could spend in it. Maybe this next week if I can get it all worked out. I need to as I have SoftImage coming and will have to get that interface together when it gets here hahahaha Ah the bleeding edge hahahahahaha.

DT. :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:39 am

Five days to go, and not a single image entered.

:(
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Rofar » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:43 pm

I say we extend the current theme to the end of Feb and just vote then. If enough entries appear, we could vote for 2 and have one be for Jan.
Rofar
Luminary

Postby DeathTwister » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:59 pm

What are all of us working with TG2? ROTFL ROTFL lolol hahaha, if that the case maybe we do need extra time../winks....

I am close to an entry if I can get it right that is, Ah the tweak, and been working with the procedural part of TG2 also trying to make the Island a bit more KEWL........ With rendering time yet to be done and I am still doing the tweak, it will be close if I make the deadline, but I am trying. Sure hope more enter then me if I do make deadlines, I do not want to win by default, that would suck..../smiles.....hard to tell sometimes if it is me or the build I am working with when I crash TG2 hahahahah lots of crashes Te He.

DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:22 am

OK I have entered something to support Aaron's Contests, now we need at least a few more to enter, It should be easy to beat to since it is not all that good yet, my entry that is.

Sand Witch Island is done in TG2 Terragen 2. I originally made this terrain last year for the tropical beaches contest, but ended up making StarQuest with the terrain and we all know how that turned out /winks, so I decided to do it in TG2 and see the differences in the 2 with end products of both when it is finished.

This is not done yet by far, and I have allot to do so it really is more work in progress then a finished product, but I had wanted to support Aaron and his image contests so I have entered at least one for this month. I keep killing TG2 though all the time as I seem to be able to crash it good and fast allot hahaha lolol, but all in all I really do like TG2 and am looking forward to a long and happy friendship with it as it develops and grows. Looks like it also works very well with L3DT and I cant wait to see what others of the L3DT crew are going to come up with and Tg2. I am also having trouble with texturing and a bunch of other stuff as it seems the things I am trying to figure out are the things no one has posted Tuts on or info, hahahaha that figures Te He lolol....

OK, guys I do not want to win by default so there better be some more entries all, PLEASE /SMILES........Monks my brother I see what you have been doing in TG2 and it is way better then what I have so far so where is yours????? Hugh?????? I know ya got something /winks. Your stuff you have posted is soooooo Awesome Dude get on it. Please I do not want to be the lone stranger here hahahahahahahaha...

PS: I need more places to go for TG2 Tuts anyone here have any more links yet to some good ones?

Added this to the post. I added one more grahpic and I have my douts about getting the third one in on time. The renders are taking me about 8-9 hours a run, so between setup and render it takes out my computer day, ouch so this may be the last one "Sand Witch Island 2" as an entry.

DeathTwister :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Shealladh » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:05 am

Congrats DeathTwister for your Star quest.

I'm giving you a head start and win some now :wink:

(actually haven't had the time lately and start a new job tomorrow, hopefully on the way to being a manager)
I take solice from the fact that I know nothing...compared to the rest of the world.
Shealladh
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:03 pm

Hi All,

Well, I guess we'll be rolling this comp over to February. The new deadline is Thursday the 1st of March. Happy rendering everyone.

Oh, and just a reminder that we are still trialling the parallel competitions for realtime (e.g. games) and non-realtime (e.g. Terragen) images. If there is insufficient interest we will go back to just one comp.

Cheerio,
Aaron.

PS: Thanks for getting your entries in DeathTwister (stunning as always!)
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:28 pm

Hay Boss,

/Winks Good idea making comp longer..... I just finished my third and final entry and sure do not want to be the only one who entered /smiles thankies.....

Oh, and just a reminder that we are still trialling the parallel competitions for realtime (e.g. games) and non-realtime (e.g. Terragen) images. If there is insufficient interest we will go back to just one comp.

We have switched Video game engines so I am not sure on our deadlines atm or what the game comp deadlines are, but we are working on stuff and maybe they will work together, maybe not for us on this upcoming one anyway ATOMIX anyway is not sure of the other entries as yet. But got my monthlies in at any rate. We are trying to get "Le Galleria" up and running in 2 months, not sure how realistic that is for just 2 dudes, but we working on it. Maybe one level of DeathLords as well, but hay just 2 dudes in our pond can make slow going sometimes, hahahah.

PS: Thanks for getting your entries in DeathTwister (stunning as always!)

Derr /smiles and bows

DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:29 am

Hay boss,

I have been very sick I kinda poisoned myself with bad Kambusha, and busy working on art projects when I can get to the comp, and I kinda forgot about the competition here. Where do we vote again? I could not find the spot?????????? It is March right? Maybe better check my calender again to make sure. I am in the right month /chuckles.....

Also I am so glad others entered at the end, Yay guys well met and not to shabby /smiles.....it's all good and I love sharing and doing stuff with other artists, it's a good thing to share like this I think.
DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:02 pm

Hi DT,

I'm sorry, I've been really busy of late. As I recall we were going to have one award for non-realtime, and one for realtime. Since the only non-realtime renders are yours, and the only realtime renders are Rofar's, I guess that means you're both winners! Congratulations on your entries (Rofar too!), they were really great, and I think it was a bit of a pity that there wasn't any other competition for them to beat. Maybe next time...

Now, do you want a vote on which of your three images will be the winner, or would you like to pick your favourite? (hint: I don't want to set up a poll if I don't have to)

Oh yeah, might I suggest that for the next comp, we have a "no theme" month? It might make it a bit easier for everyone to get into the groove.

Congrats again,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:10 pm

Hay Boss,

Sorry but I have been very sick, I kinda poisened myself with bad Kambusha, then after my imunity got low, I cought the flue, arg, kinda coming back now, but I am moving slowwwwwwwoooooooo.

yup yup that works for me all around, just let it ripp. I sure hope more enter next month as I am pretty sure I will not be able to as I have all my comps running flat ut on other things. I may post a picture or 2 in the forums or link to a goodie or 2, but I really dunna have much time this next month.

I sure would like to get some real time entries in though, hahaha, I am working in XSI 6 right now trying to get it set up as a world editor/designer and then export it all out as a ogre file. By the time I have it ready I am sure the new Ogre Exporter for XSI 6 will be done, so I am hard at 2 projects working with them right now. Mainly I need good plugins if anything the next 2 months hahahahaha /winks. Could I get a exporter from L3DT to .obj? and maybe a .3ds? if anyone is working on one let me know /smiles.

After I get at least one project out weather it is in TGEA, TGE, or Ogre I will post then, but kinda hard to post before I guess, hahahaha ROTFL. Whom ever gets done first that is /winks. may the least buggy software please stand up ROTFL ROTFL, lololol hahaha.

I sure wish GG would release thier Constructor soon, that would help a whole hell of allot I am thinking /winks. Work flow can be a bitch hahahahahaha, need better work flow for us Dumb artists, hahahahaha.

PS: I hate winning by default though so you all better anti up here soon or I will come and bonk ya'll on the noddles, hahaha /warm smiles.....Help suport the Aaron type dude, he works hard for us and I think this is a good way to give him something back. Don't you think?

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby DeathTwister » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:11 pm

Hay Boss,

Sorry but I have been very sick, I kinda poisened myself with bad Kambusha, then after my imunity got low, I cought the flue, arg, kinda coming back now, but I am moving slowwwwwwwoooooooo. Ohhh so what one of my 3 won? all 3 or just one???? hahaha /giggles.

yup yup that works for me all around, just let it ripp. I sure hope more enter next month as I am pretty sure I will not be able to as I have all my comps running flat ut on other things. I may post a picture or 2 in the forums or link to a goodie or 2, but I really dunna have much time this next month.

I sure would like to get some real time entries in though, hahaha, I am working in XSI 6 right now trying to get it set up as a world editor/designer and then export it all out as a ogre file. By the time I have it ready I am sure the new Ogre Exporter for XSI 6 will be done, so I am hard at 2 projects working with them right now. Mainly I need good plugins if anything the next 2 months hahahahaha /winks. Could I get a exporter from L3DT to .obj? and maybe a .3ds? if anyone is working on one let me know /smiles.

After I get at least one project out weather it is in TGEA, TGE, or Ogre I will post then, but kinda hard to post before I guess, hahahaha ROTFL. Whom ever gets done first that is /winks. may the least buggy software please stand up ROTFL ROTFL, lololol hahaha.

I sure wish GG would release thier Constructor soon, that would help a whole hell of allot I am thinking /winks. Work flow can be a bitch hahahahahaha, need better work flow for us Dumb artists, hahahahaha.

PS: I hate winning by default though so you all better anti up here soon or I will come and bonk ya'll on the noddles, hahaha /warm smiles.....Help suport the Aaron type dude, he works hard for us and I think this is a good way to give him something back. Don't you think?

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Rofar » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:47 pm

No need to put up a poll. Keep it simple...you choose :D
Rofar
Luminary

Postby DeathTwister » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:37 pm

Yep yep U choose Boss I am good with that /winks and /bows
DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed