L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

3D Max plugin

Correspondence concerning plugins and scripts; development, use, bugs and ideas.

3D Max plugin

Postby Shealladh » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:09 pm

Export the final result to 3d max native format.

While were on 3d exports, if someone could come up with OBJ and MDB formats too would be of great benefit to the nwn2 community.
I take solice from the fact that I know nothing...compared to the rest of the world.
Shealladh
Contributing member

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:50 pm

Hay there Shealladh,

yes that would be sweet. But I wouldn't mind since we are dreaming of an export plugin to .obj, .3ds, .mis, .dds, .x and of course the biggy .atlas hahahahaa. Now there are some :idea: :idea: :idea: afoot /smiles....
But I really would like to see ASAP the exporter for TGEA L3DT 2 .atlas final file, all in one easy step, as I been getting far to many headachs hahahaha.

Funny I get the .chu and .txt file work down pat now, then they come along with new stuff to riddle out ROTFL, derr now I find myself scratching my head trying to get a lightmap in there, and it don't seem to be working right, not sure if it's me or it yet, but I am still working on it.

DOH...../smiles....Hay Neo we could use some help here maybe? or is it me? probobly hahahaha :oops: :oops: :roll: 8) Could use a really Good Tutorial on that just about now with pictures and arrows, just like I do when I make Tut's I am thinking would be a good thing????? /hint /hint /hints.

DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Shealladh » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:07 pm

Hiya DeathTwister, there are probably alot of other features that I'd like to see but I still need to find the $ for those to happen, namely TerraGen2 atm.

Maybe someone will create a fileformat plugin and extend the range of import/export features.

Since I'm no coder, who am I ask....
I take solice from the fact that I know nothing...compared to the rest of the world.
Shealladh
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:07 pm

Hi Shealladh,

I've added the 3DS exporter to the plugin ideas page, and with any luck some nice programmer will come along and write us a plugin.

To DeathTwister: TGEA is off-topic for this thread; please start a new thread if you wish to discuss it further. Also, there is already an X exporter included with L3DT (somewhat crappy), and on the 3rd party tools page you can find a converter for BMP/JPG/PNG/MMF->DDS (L3DTIC, by Luuk van Venrooij.)

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Shealladh » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:51 am

aaron wrote:Hi Shealladh,

I've added the 3DS exporter to the plugin ideas page, and with any luck some nice programmer will come along and write us a plugin.

Thanx for that mate. I hope so, as I see alot of potential.
Not sure if there is a new file format for TerraGen 2 or if it uses the same file format. It's early days.

To DeathTwister: TGEA is off-topic for this thread; please start a new thread if you wish to discuss it further. Also, there is already an X exporter included with L3DT (somewhat crappy), and on the 3rd party tools page you can find a converter for BMP/JPG/PNG/MMF->DDS (L3DTIC, by Luuk van Venrooij.)

Cheers,
Aaron.

Thanx Aaron Happy New Year while I remember.
Shealladh
Contributing member

Postby BuLL » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:48 pm

Don`t know if this is of any use..I`m not that knowledgable with 3dsmax but I have managed to import a L3DT terrain heightfield into the programme with the aid of the terrain generator from a game I mod/make terrains for(see link below).It is however limited to a 1024 x 1024 8 bit grayscale raw input image.
If it`s of any use I`ll post more info... :wink:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/ ... ss_max.jpg
BuLL

Postby Shealladh » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:48 pm

BuLL wrote:Don`t know if this is of any use..I`m not that knowledgable with 3dsmax but I have managed to import a L3DT terrain heightfield into the programme with the aid of the terrain generator from a game I mod/make terrains for(see link below).It is however limited to a 1024 x 1024 8 bit grayscale raw input image.
If it`s of any use I`ll post more info... :wink:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/ ... ss_max.jpg

Cool, what program is this and for which game?

At this point anything is helpful, so yeah I'd like to see more please :D
Shealladh
Contributing member

Postby BuLL » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:39 pm

The games in question is Black hawk down & Joint operations, novalogic games.
The mod tools are available for download here:-
http://www.dfreload.com/forum/files.php ... ile&id=179

Heres a small snippet of the process involved with getting those obj,files

5.3 Terrain Project File
. This file is only used by the BHD terrain generator and is not needed beyond that. You need to be sure to set a few things right:
1. The path is the full windows file path to the folder with your terrain files in it, such as: C:\Program Files\NovaLogic\Joint Operations Typhoon Rising\Builds\ volcano\ (be sure to have a \ at the end)
2. Set the depthmap to the file name or your depth map.
3. Set the output to the root name of your other terrain files (i.e. MyTerrain without any extension).

You MUST do #1 above to get the example working on your machine. The rest of the entries are fine as is.
5.4 Building the Terrain
Follow these steps to build the terrain. If something does not work see section 7 of this tutorial:
1. Launch the nova TrnGen.exe from within the jo Mod tools.
2. Go to File -> Open. Find your .tpj file and select it.
3. Go to Build -> Begin Build.
4. Sit back, have some beer, wait for it to finish.

If that seems a little too daunting,just mail your heightfield over and I`ll convert it for you.I don`t mind helping peeps out...It `ll take me only 5 or 10 minutes..
Cheers.

:wink:
BuLL

Postby Shealladh » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:52 am

BuLL wrote:The games in question is Black hawk down & Joint operations, novalogic games.
The mod tools are available for download here:-
http://www.dfreload.com/forum/files.php ... ile&id=179

Heres a small snippet of the process involved with getting those obj,files

5.3 Terrain Project File
. This file is only used by the BHD terrain generator and is not needed beyond that. You need to be sure to set a few things right:
1. The path is the full windows file path to the folder with your terrain files in it, such as: C:\Program Files\NovaLogic\Joint Operations Typhoon Rising\Builds\ volcano\ (be sure to have a \ at the end)
2. Set the depthmap to the file name or your depth map.
3. Set the output to the root name of your other terrain files (i.e. MyTerrain without any extension).

You MUST do #1 above to get the example working on your machine. The rest of the entries are fine as is.
5.4 Building the Terrain
Follow these steps to build the terrain. If something does not work see section 7 of this tutorial:
1. Launch the nova TrnGen.exe from within the jo Mod tools.
2. Go to File -> Open. Find your .tpj file and select it.
3. Go to Build -> Begin Build.
4. Sit back, have some beer, wait for it to finish.

If that seems a little too daunting,just mail your heightfield over and I`ll convert it for you.I don`t mind helping peeps out...It `ll take me only 5 or 10 minutes..
Cheers.

:wink:

I have never played Black Hawk down let alone Joint operations. I am hoping to be able to create a nwn2 game and need to get this information for the TRN format for importation. I have almost got a group that are interested in the plugin idea that I am hoping that once we have the Walkmesh data worked out we can create a plugin for the nwn2 game.

The landscapes are a real pain in the butt to make and having to use many plugins for this simple task is making me quite anxious about it's future.

Over at ModCraft we are a community for creating Mods for various games. I am going back to drawing and hope to gain enough skill to get into Uni by the end of the year so I took on the challenge of running ARC as a side project for the next few years.

So this is why I am after someone to program a plugin for us as I really suck at code and haven't touched this in 20 years (I'm sure that it's changed a bit since then) and will be hard enough to get my drawing skills back after 16 yrs.

If you're wondering what I plan to do with L3DT, nwn2, and this 3d max plugin. Basically I plan on making a Castle Construction set and create everything in max after I draw up all the concept art and then build all the components as I learn max. When I am in Uni I will be focusing all my learning into other areas such as animation as well.
Shealladh
Contributing member

Postby BuLL » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:56 pm

BuLL

Postby Aaron » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:29 am

Hi Everyone,

Regarding the 3ds plugin, can anyone conform or deny that the 3ds format is limited to 32k vertices? If so, I'd say it's not going to be much use with L3DT (unless I also implement a mesh optimiser), as 32k vertices is a tiny number.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Shealladh » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:56 am

aaron wrote:Hi Everyone,

Regarding the 3ds plugin, can anyone conform or deny that the 3ds format is limited to 32k vertices? If so, I'd say it's not going to be much use with L3DT (unless I also implement a mesh optimiser), as 32k vertices is a tiny number.

Cheers,
Aaron.

I know that I've loaded up meshes with more than 32k verts, so it must be possible. Although I'm familiar with the enternal workings of the format either, so I wish I could confirm this.

EDIT: Ooops, I am thinking of the newer .MAX format, not the *.3DS one, sorry.

I have yet to see any details on the newer 3ds max format, so unless they release the structure for this we are gonna be screwed :(
Shealladh
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:24 pm

Hi Shealladh,

I just read from the Autodesk site that the MAX format is proprietary and may change with every release. No joy there, then.

The OBJ format looks OK, though.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Shealladh » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:17 am

I just read from the Autodesk site that the MAX format is proprietary and may change with every release. No joy there, then.

Cheers,
Aaron.

Looks though we are stuck with the OBJ format then :(
I hate when companies do this now, they make you use their software and then refuse to give you details on their formats.

Just like Obsidian's failed attempt at updating NWN2, it's been months and they still haven't released a thing.
Shealladh
Contributing member

Postby notareal » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:27 pm

Cheers,
Aaron.

OBJ is really useful, if I had to bet, I'd say .obj has far greater support than .max or .3ds.I would not feel that I am stuck with .obj.
notareal
Contributing member

Next

Return to Plugins and scripts