L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Debugging: please help!

Got a problem or need advice?

Debugging: please help!

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:58 am

Hi everyone,

I'm holding back the release of v2.5 until I fix one last bug. It's been reported that under certain (unspecified) conditions, the texture map has black lines running through it (see screenshot). I've been trying all sorts of wacky combinations of settings to reproduce this fault, with no luck so far. Has anyone else seen this problem? (specifically; dark lines in texture or light map). For special bonus points, I would be ever so grateful if some users could download the latest Pro dev build (RC3.3) and give the texturing a bit of a thrashing (high TX resolutions, like 8x/16x/32x). If you do find a problem, please save the project and send me the map definition file (extension = '.def.xml'). Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:19 pm

Update:

I think I've found it. It's just the per-pixel texture generator. Very odd indeed - the dark bands (they're not actually black) aren't associated with high-res textures as I thought; they may be associated with large heightfields instead. I wonder if it's to do with the mip-mapping...?

- Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby piratelord » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:25 pm

I've noticed that when I import a non ^2 map (4097x4097) in the final texture (at 1x !) there is a single black pixel at row 2 and column 4096. There is a texture at 1 and 4097.

Not a problem since I just crop the texture by 2 pixels and resize. The difference isn't going to be major!
piratelord
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:21 am

Hurrah, found it! It was the light-mapping algorithm, not the texture-mapper. A few more tests and release 2.5 should be good to go.

- Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support