Large 3D terrain generator

Multiverse Terrain Question stuff

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Multiverse Terrain Question stuff

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:19 pm

Hay guys,

Regarding a L3DT Tutorial I used on MV:
http://update.multiverse.net/wiki/index.ph/Generating_Terrain_with_L3DT_Pro
I haveBeen working with the Tutorials we have on Multiverse using L3DT, and I got some new wiki docs 2 days ago as there were way to many questions for importing terrains into MV from L3DT but it brought up a few other questions that I had not thought about after I downloaded that .PDF.
The link to that post on MV is:
http://update.multiverse.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=36940&theme=multiverse#36940

So while some of my questions can only be answered on MV only like where do all the files actually go, and I have a alphasplat texture issue, this one question someone may be able to help me here real quick.

Simple Question:
when exporting out from L3DT do we add that extra pixel like we do for TGEA to export our terrains.

Example: 1024x1024 would be 1025X1025.
3DGS does not use that math, and the new tutorial docs show it that way in MV, but the docs on the Tutorial shows it exporting as a 512 and not 513. So I am confused and they have not gotten back to me as of yet, but I know they will just busy like me.
So I should be a day or 2 from posting terrain /winks....dam busy on all kinds of stuff though so don't shoot me if I am a day or 2 late lolol.

DT aka Maylock
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby demi » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:45 pm

Hi DT,

Sorry I been out of internet for awhile. This explains it

http://update.multiverse.net/wiki/index ... h_L3DT_Pro
demi
Oracle

Postby DeathTwister » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:45 pm

Hay bro and thanks so much Demi,

But actually I have already gone through that Tut a while back, and it did not answer questions on how to get them in right, so I had done a post on my troubles.
Links:
The media files are there as well. But it is not a L3DT terrain, so I have been doing this tut using a L3DT terrain and converting as I go.

So you can go download the latest wiki there that has not been posted yet on there servers since they are still working on the Docs. SO I am past that point and tearing my hair out with then Alphasplat texture files as I can get them to show up yet. I know I am doing something wrong, just not sure what yet. Here are some screens for what I do have to date minus the L3DT textures I want on it /smiles....
Screens:

As you can see once I tried to set the Alpha textures this all fell apart, so I have gone over both tutorials until my eye are so fuzzy I can't see strait, so taking the day off and going to a doctors APT, and try it again later when I get back /smiles.....

Will post more as I learn it for those that come after us /winks......and will update the wiki when I am sure I know that what I add is totally correct. OK have fun, back in a day or so, faster if someone finds a solution to my trouble and posts it here.

DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby DeathTwister » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:45 pm

Hay bro and thanks so much Demi,

But actually I have already gone through that Tut a while back, and it did not answer questions on how to get them in right, so I had done a post on my troubles.
Links:
The media files are there as well. But it is not a L3DT terrain, so I have been doing this tut using a L3DT terrain and converting as I go.

So you can go download the latest wiki there that has not been posted yet on there servers since they are still working on the Docs. SO I am past that point and tearing my hair out with then Alphasplat texture files as I can get them to show up yet. I know I am doing something wrong, just not sure what yet. Here are some screens for what I do have to date minus the L3DT textures I want on it /smiles....
Screens:

As you can see once I tried to set the Alpha textures this all fell apart, so I have gone over both tutorials until my eye are so fuzzy I can't see strait, so taking the day off and going to a doctors APT, and try it again later when I get back /smiles.....

Will post more as I learn it for those that come after us /winks......and will update the wiki when I am sure I know that what I add is totally correct. OK have fun, back in a day or so, faster if someone finds a solution to my trouble and posts it here.

DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby demi » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:15 am

Ah OK I looked it over and two things come to mind here. Frst, something I had issues with was, the images are NOT power of 2. Second is that mixing DDS and JPG is a no no. The splatting engine does not like em.

First convert the dds to jpg and make all the SAME sizes 256x256.

Give that a whirl. I haven't played with the stuff since 1.0 cause I am working on my own engine now. I doubt I ever get it done but at least I am trying. :)

OH and I forgot this one.

Once you make a change like this you sometimes have to save it, exit and restart to get it to work.. Also, changing the window size causes you to loos the textures.
demi
Oracle

Postby DeathTwister » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:56 pm

Oh chit.

I automatically assumed that all Aaron's images are to the power of 2 these days with all the vid game dev going on. They were before I had always thought.
Doh that at the very least explains some of this, chit. So I can go in and resize them easy enough and go through them and adjust the textures sizes to meet the requirements.
But that also means after I adjust it all I will have to re-run all the maps and export out at least the Alpha maps again. But that is OK as I am still trying to figure out how to get my alpha's out as just 2 folders, or just 2 .mmf's anyway. I am sure that is also in part my problem. How did you say to do that again?

Once I get this worked out, WOW I will be flying and think I may even make a L3DT Terrain pack to sell on MV if it works out as I am so dam poor, I can't even afford myself lololol. I must have 200 terrains I have made just sitting here gathering dust and all are cool ones /winks.

Also I was not sure that .jpg's were all that good as the Tut shows them using .TGA's and .png's and .DDS's so I was thinking of converting them to other formats, but I will try your fix first to see if that helps. But the Tutorial they have I had the same trouble so it also may be pointing files to the right places also. Probably a bit of both, so I have been going over all this line by line and trying to do what it says, not what I think it says hahahahahahaha.

I am also wondering if I need to add each texture singly as an asset and not just bring in the folder. Even though they say as long as you point to a folder in the assets manager, it will see it and does not need to be comented in by my programmer, as far as I know.

OK back into PS to reedit a ton of grahpics Argggggggg ROTFL.

PS: I am also not taking the bump maps into the engine as I am pretty sure they will not use those files, I hope, or me screwed good hahahahahahahaha.

Thanks Demi for the feedback. I really like this MV engine better then any other I have worked on so far in life, so all in all I am in 7th heaven, even though I am on a slow patch in this right now.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby demi » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:12 pm

DeathTwister wrote: But that also means after I adjust it all I will have to re-run all the maps and export out at least the Alpha maps again.

If the map was exported say at 256 x 256 or 512 x 512 etc. then no you don't have to touch the map unless you make a change to it.
demi
Oracle

Postby DeathTwister » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:07 pm

Right, but I can see right now that there are some that are not rotfl, kk just got back from town, now do some editing.
Get back to you this on the morrow.
DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby demi » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:37 am

DeathTwister wrote:Right, but I can see right now that there are some that are not rotfl, kk just got back from town, now do some editing.
Get back to you this on the morrow.
DT

DO NOT touch those alpha maps LOL. They are compressed images. the problem is the textures not the alphas.
demi
Oracle

Postby DeathTwister » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:53 pm

ROTFL Oh ya I know lol, I was talking about the textures not the alphas as well lol, sorry if I did not explain right. Ya getting at it this morning as took yesterday off as had other things to do in real life. So time for this Dog to chew this bone till he gets it.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby demi » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:37 pm

How many textures do you have in the map? is it 8 or 7? maybe the splatting engine is getting confused because there are to many textures for the alphas.

Demi
demi
Oracle

Postby DeathTwister » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:43 pm

Pretty sure I have more per .mmf, but I will check and make sure that is not what may be giving me my pain in my________. Good point to check thanks bro.

Back in a bit after I try it all again with the info I have now.
BE BACK SOON. BBS

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Return to General discussion