L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Multiverse Alpha Textures not all showing up in World Editor

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Multiverse Alpha Textures not all showing up in World Editor

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:59 pm

Good morning to you all,

I have posted this on MV, but I am wondering if someone here could take a look at my code and see if there is anything I missed.

I cannot no mater how I try get all my 8 textures to show up in the world, or terrain editor. It just shows me the Grass1 texture which is the first one on the list. So close yet so far. I know I am doing something wrong, or when making the files some code did not get included. I say that as we have found that some assets when made to not carry all the info needed to be in the asset manager and have been correcting them as we go and find them, but as far as I can see, everything should be fine but it ain't.

Here is the Alpha1 text and texture asset manager info and I am wondering what it is missing? as something is.

Asset Text Def File:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<AssetDefinition>
<Name>Alpha1</Name>
<Type>Mosaic</Type>
<Files>
<AssetFile>
<TargetFile>Textures\Alpha1.mmf</TargetFile>
<NewFileName />
<FileType>Mosaic</FileType>
</AssetFile>
<AssetFile>
<TargetFile>Textures\Alpha1_x3y3.png</TargetFile>
<NewFileName />
<FileType>Texture</FileType>
</AssetFile>
<AssetFile>
<TargetFile>Textures\Alpha1_x0y0.png</TargetFile>
<NewFileName />
</AssetFile>
<AssetFile>
<TargetFile>Textures\Alpha1_x0y1.png</TargetFile>
<NewFileName />
</AssetFile>
<AssetFile>
<TargetFile>Textures\Alpha1_x0y2.png</TargetFile>
<NewFileName />
</AssetFile>
<AssetFile>
<TargetFile>Textures\Alpha1_x0y3.png</TargetFile>
<NewFileName />
</AssetFile>
<AssetFile>
<TargetFile>Textures\Alpha1_x1y0.png</TargetFile>
<NewFileName />
</AssetFile>
<AssetFile>
<TargetFile>Textures\Alpha1_x1y1.png</TargetFile>
<NewFileName />
</AssetFile>
<AssetFile>
<TargetFile>Textures\Alpha1_x1y2.png</TargetFile>
<NewFileName />
</AssetFile>
<AssetFile>
<TargetFile>Textures\Alpha1_x1y3.png</TargetFile>
<NewFileName />
</AssetFile>
<AssetFile>
<TargetFile>Textures\Alpha1_x2y0.png</TargetFile>
<NewFileName />
</AssetFile>
<AssetFile>
<TargetFile>Textures\Alpha1_x2y1.png</TargetFile>
<NewFileName />
</AssetFile>
<AssetFile>
<TargetFile>Textures\Alpha1_x2y2.png</TargetFile>
<NewFileName />
</AssetFile>
<AssetFile>
<TargetFile>Textures\Alpha1_x2y3.png</TargetFile>
<NewFileName />
</AssetFile>
<AssetFile>
<TargetFile>Textures\Alpha1_x3y0.png</TargetFile>
<NewFileName />
</AssetFile>
<AssetFile>
<TargetFile>Textures\Alpha1_x3y1.png</TargetFile>
<NewFileName />
</AssetFile>
<AssetFile>
<TargetFile>Textures\Alpha1_x3y2.png</TargetFile>
<NewFileName />
</AssetFile>
</Files>
</AssetDefinition>

And the Alpha1.mmf file for comparing.
L3DT Mosaic master file
#MosaicName: Alpha1
#MosaicType: RGBA
#FileExt: png
#nPxlsX: 2048
#nPxlsY: 2048
#nMapsX: 4
#nMapsY: 4
#SubMapSize: 512
#HorizScale: 64.000000
#WrapFlag: TRUE
#TileState: 0 OK
#TileState: 1 OK
#TileState: 2 OK
#TileState: 3 OK
#TileState: 4 OK
#TileState: 5 OK
#TileState: 6 OK
#TileState: 7 OK
#TileState: 8 OK
#TileState: 9 OK
#TileState: 10 OK
#TileState: 11 OK
#TileState: 12 OK
#TileState: 13 OK
#TileState: 14 OK
#TileState: 15 OK
#EOF

I have no idea what that EOFis all about as I am not a programmer but a pure artist, well not so much any more, but still dumb as a idiot when it comes to programming /wry grins.

Screen Shot:

Anyway as it stands now I can only see the first "number one texture" and not one other, so I am messing it up somewhere just no idea after all I have learned what. Is it me? or the way my programmer set it all up maybe? Naw he did his job right, so I am stumped guys and need help again.

Thanks for all your help in advance like before when I got help here guys.

DeathTwister :twisted: :wink:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Re: Multiverse Alpha Textures not all showing up in World Ed

Postby Aaron » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:50 am

Hi DeathTwister,

I probably can't help very much here, since I'm not all that familiar with the trips and pitfalls of using MV, but I can answer one of your questions:

DeathTwister wrote:I have no idea what that EOFis all about...

End of file. It's a somewhat redundant marker I added to the MMF specification to denote the end of useful data in the file. Anything that follows #EOF is to be ignored.

Oh, can I suggest you try one thing? I don't know that this will have any effect, but can you change this line in the MMF:

Code: Select all
#MosaicType: RGBA

to this:

Code: Select all
#MosaicType: DWORD

Older versions of L3DT used a different mosaic type name for 32-bit alpha maps, and the newer naming scheme may not be supported by MV. Please let me know if this change makes any difference.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:34 pm

Strange Aaron as I had trouble logging in, Oh well in now.

Thanks guy for the FYI Info.

I tried to do what you suggested and nope did not help. Thanks for giving me something to try though /bows.

Not sure what I am doing wrong though as according to the Tut's I have done and what I have seen, I should be in the pipe 5X5, but I ain't so still on the drawing board lol.
It has to be ion MV, but I do not know where to look, times like these I do wish I was a programmer.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby demi » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:07 pm

edit: err never mind that they changed it to power of 2 LOL

edit : err nevermind that either I am now going to just make a sample and post it. Give you a change to have a working model. Give me a couple days to get it documented.
demi
Oracle

Postby demi » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:35 pm

OK DT I did a run on MV World editor from a scratch and used a L3DT file from scratch with version 6.2. Only setting I altered was Horizontal from 10 to 8 so it was a power of 2.

Seems the asset definitions for some of the new textures are missing but that is not your main concern ATM. The new release of L3DT already has the texture sizes fixed as does MV. Most of the files are in MV assets but a few are not.

Make sure the asset repository directory has the current png mosaic, alpha1 and alpha2 mosaic. It does not work to well across directories and do not make a asset for these either. Right click terrain, select add, filename.mmf

Anyway, I think you are seeing the images. Hard to tell what you have here without knowing exactly what the terrain is suppose to look like. One thing I suggest is to change the TerrainTileSize from 16 to say 32 or even 64. Sure, it won't be near as crisp looking up close but it will defiantly reduce that artifacting.

I was kind of disappointed with the bug not fixed yet when you change the window size, the textures vanish. :( You still have to save and restart the program if you do change windows size when running the splatting terrain.

As for me the thing worked fine with defaults on alpha maps you should have seen

#MosaicType: DWORD instead of #MosaicType: RGBA. Use defaults in L3DT and do not change anything.

Hope that helped you
demi
Oracle

Postby DeathTwister » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:51 pm

Hay Demi,

Been off the grid last few days, Wow very nice to help out but:

Anyway, I think you are seeing the images. Hard to tell what you have here without knowing exactly what the terrain is suppose to look like.

Um there was no pictures with this post, was there supposed to be? I kinda did not understand what you did without the pics /smiles.... and thanks so much fer the help bro, as I got it all but them pesky textures, so want to see your post. looking forward to seeing the pics, and can you post the L3DT file maybe? or better yet the MV file if possible, if not no biggie.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:12 pm

Hay Dem, Wow been working so hard and they have me doing so many different kinds of fields at once, hard to keep up with it all. No have not figured out why it not working yet for me, as been doing buildings and trying to set my pipeline up better, dang I hate software pipelines at times, shesh pain in the __________.

I plan to get back and try what you said in a week or so, soon as the server is up and running and I have the buildings in that are needed, then I will go back and fix things like alpha channel textures and other stuff that is driving me batty lolol. So have not forgotten this, just no real answers for me to work with yet, so have it on back burner for a week more or so.

Hope all had a good holiday and all will have a great NEW YEARS. Just don't make any babies till we fix the Planet, OK?

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Return to General discussion