L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

aaron please read

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

aaron please read

Postby Prophet » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:34 am

Okay the other pictures I messed up on because I forgot that BF2 colormaps are actually bigger than the actually heightmap. This is the way the engine reads it. Example is a map of 1024 (heightmap) the colormap would be 4096. Now my question is on the alpha map which is actually the detail map in bf2. In the export there is noway to resize on exporting. Anyway you can implement this on your next update? Thanks if you can and thanks if you cant.
Prophet

Re: aaron please read

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:57 am

Hi Prophet,

Prophet wrote:Okay the other pictures I messed up on because I forgot that BF2 colormaps are actually bigger than the actually heightmap. This is the way the engine reads it. Example is a map of 1024 (heightmap) the colormap would be 4096.

Okay, that makes sense.

Prophet wrote:Now my question is on the alpha map which is actually the detail map in bf2. In the export there is noway to resize on exporting. Anyway you can implement this on your next update? Thanks if you can and thanks if you cant.

It might not be in the next update, but I'll put it on the to-do list nevertheless. This is actually going to be a little bit more complicated than just resizing the alpha maps (which you could do in Photoshop, etc), as that would blur-out the interface between land types. What I propose to do is the same trick I've used for generating high-res texture maps; calculate the land-types procedurally per alpha-map pixel. What that will give you are sharp transitions from, say, rock to grass.

Best regards,
Aaron.

PS: There's no need to state 'aaron please read' in a title of a post; I read everything on this site. 'aaron please reply' is a different matter :wink:
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Prophet » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:21 pm

lol sorry just wanted to get your attention. Forgot that you were the forum moderator..I thought about resizing them in Photoshop and actually I did. I will post the results in this post later.
Prophet

Return to General discussion