L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Rivers and streams question?

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Rivers and streams question?

Postby demi » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:09 pm

I want to have a river that runs from a lake to the ocean but lost on how to accomplish this. Should I do it manually? Is there a river plugin besides atRainMaker? Anyone working on a river plugin?

My map is HUGE and atRainMaker plugin does the whole map so I would like to know. I may run it to see the effects but I wonder how long it will take to do a 2 giga pixel map. Rivers and streams are next in the map design so like to get an idea of which method I should use.
demi
Oracle

Postby Aaron » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:38 am

Hi Demi,

Do you need the river to be sloping, or can it be flat? If flat, then you should use the heightfield tools to carve your river bed then the water map tools to flood it. For consistent results you may want to use the 'level at' brush tool to dig your riverbed, then use the smoothing, perlin, avalanche, and raise/lower tools to smooth/roughen the edges.

If a sloping water surface is required, then things get much more complex. atRainmaker was designed to flood non-flat rivers, but this makes it extraordinarily slow. Also, if I recall correctly (and I may be wrong here), it doesn't actually modify the terrain geometry, it just floods water over the top. Thus, you'll still need to use the heightfield tools to build your river course.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby demi » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:38 pm

Thanks for the info. I guess I start edit mode then. since I need to do it from a slope and flat surface.
demi
Oracle

Return to General discussion