L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Terrain of Europe for Opensim?

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Terrain of Europe for Opensim?

Postby jcorbett » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:27 pm

Hi, I'm involved in a new project which is trying to recreate the geography of Europe in Opensim (kind of an opensource Second Life).

But all this terrain mapping and geo formatting stuff is really new to me and even though I've searched back through all the discussions here I'm still confused as to how I should go about this. In particular -

1) Where do I get the heighfield for Europe from?
2) How do I import it?
3) How do I export it to the correct Opensim format?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.
jcorbett

Postby Aaron » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:44 am

Hi jcorbett,

The tutorial wiki is your friend. For questions one and two, please see the SRTM tutorial, which covers downloading and importing the heightmap for a region of Italy. For question three, please have a look at the four tutorials marked 'OpenSim' that are linked from the tutorials wiki.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby saroo » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:53 am

Hi Jcorbett/Aaron,

I found this april post really interesting, as I am in a similar position now as you were then.

I am trying to re-create a region in Greece over 4 sims, I am new to this, I have been working through the tutorials in the last couple of days, and have kinda got to grips with creating a terrain, but if you have any words of wisdom I would very much appreciate it!! :o)

I am also a bit confudled about how to make sure the 4 terrains would match up to each other?? or can you stretch one terrain over the 4 sims?
Also if you would be so kind as to give me the location/name of your creation in opensim, I would love to visit it, and see what it looks like.

kind regards

Saroo
saroo

Return to General discussion