L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Mesh optimiser improvements

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Mesh optimiser improvements

Postby Aaron » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:16 pm

Hi Everyone,

When ferreting around in the depths of the codebase for the Sapphire 3D renderer, I noticed that the mesh optimiser wasn't quite properly configured, with the consequence that the terrain mesh was seldom rendering to its highest detail level. This error also affected the atMeshDecimator plugin, which is used to export optimised OBJ, B3D, 3DS and X mesh files.

I have found and fixed the cause of this misconfiguration, and I shall update the plugins in the next developmental build [I'll post back here when it's available for download]. The effect of this change is that meshes exported from L3DT or rendered in Sapphire can now render to higher detail levels than were previously supported.

As an example of the mesh detail to which I refer, here are a couple of screenshots of a heightfield rendered in Sapphire at a high detail setting, showing one million triangles:

For reference, Sapphire will now render up to 2 million triangles (at an excruciatingly slow frame rate), and atMeshDecimator can render meshes up to 32 million triangles.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to General discussion