L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Hello, and question

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Hello, and question

Postby Chett » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:03 pm

I downloaded this very cool tool yesterday. Have been 'shopping' for a terrain making tool for a while now and this is certainly the best I have found. Assuming I don't find an 'oh no' like I have with so many I expect I'll join the ranks of paid customers soon.

My 'test' project map is fairly specific and calls for a swamp bit in the terrain, has anyone tried building a swamp climate? or perhaps a marsh?
Chett
Contributing member

Postby Sarrene » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:15 pm

Hello, I am kind of new myself. I have been around for a year or more, but do not post that often. I do have say however, that this is a great program and it is not even expensive. It is well worth the cost.

As far as swamps, I am working at building just that myself. I am still trying to get the texture just right, but I have to say that creating new climates is not too difficult. And of course, you can add and change and edit the textures later on in the editor as well.

I have added a couple new climates myself. The tuts here are wonderful. Simple and easy to read and follow.
Sarrene

Postby Chett » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:09 am

I found a swamp texture under tropical climate but so far changing the climate in that area to tropical hasn't changed the sand there. But still learning so I guess I'll figure it out. The tutorials are good, I was up and running building stuff right away. The devil is in the details.
Chett
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:54 am

Hi Chett,

Welcome to the forum.

Probably the easiest way to get what you want here would be to create a copy of the temperate or tropical climate (using the climate manager), rename the 'sand' land type in the climate to 'mud', and set its material to 'std_mud'.

If you find that the spatial distribution of the land types is not to your liking, you will then have to play with the land type parameters. As a starting point, this chapter of the still-incomplete 'how to make a climate' tutorial may be of use.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to General discussion