L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Profiles

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Profiles

Postby Aaron » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:51 am

Hi Everyone,

It's becoming increasingly evident that I need to do something smarter with the default settings in L3DT. For instance, the default horizontal scale of 10m is probably reasonable for landscape rendering and RTS games, but it's terrible for FPS, where 0.5-2m is probably more appropriate. I was therefore thinking that, when you first load L3DT, it could ask you to pick a 'profile' that sets all the defaults to values suitable to your particular application. We might then have profiles for 'FPS', 'RTS', 'flightsim', etc. We could even be more specific than that, and have sub-categories, like 'RTS->Spring' and 'RTS->General'.

So, I guess the question is, what settings do you always use in L3DT to get what you want?

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby monks » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:03 pm

Great idea- well you know me: if it ain't at 20m res it's broke :lol: Maybe one day we'll get onto 2m res. It would be convenient to have that.

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby trollfiddler » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:29 pm

Hi Aaron,

I use one metre, or 2 metres max. Also, most of my terrains don't have sea as I am hoping to stitch them together into one big landscape using HTC+ if it ever arrives. So being able to set "no sea" would be useful to me in terms of sheer laziness.

(If you're wondering why I don't just make one big terrain in L3DT, the hoped for advantage of HTC+ is that I can create lots of small or mid-sized L3DT terrains with their unique climates, and HTC+ will stitch them into one gi-normous terrain. That'll allow me to mix climate zones in one big map [an artic area, a desert etc etc] without height as the main determinant.)

Cheers,

Dave.
trollfiddler
Luminary

Postby Forboding Angel » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:00 pm

actually aaron, for spring I have to use 1000 height difference and scale of 3 to make it come out. So for rts' figure on 2 as well.
Forboding Angel
Luminary

Return to General discussion