L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

What heightfield tools do you require?

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Postby metalliandy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:51 pm

Hey vesuvias
You only want the multi res option for L3DT for designing you map, right?

Maybe a preview option that only renders part of the map would be a good way to do this?
e.g you could specify a small area of the map within L3DT and render just that, so it would only take a small amount of time..though it it my thinking that wouldnt be possible, unless the DM was created at the production res.

Maybe the "map stitching" suggestion that popped up a while ago would be worth another look Aaron?

as far as "in game"

Probably, IMHO, your best option would be to create a uber high res map (or as high as your Dev. spec./game will allow) and then put the parrallex map on it later and us DDS with mipmaps for your textures(if that's possible with Atlas, im looking into it my self).

It is my understanding that Torque uses an "on the fly" L.O.D implementation and Atlas uses paged geometry for runtime, so there is not much point in creating a specific LOD function for your maps, other than using 2 poly billboards for distance trees etc.

I have had lots of problems with Atlas when trying to view long distances, the area always seems culled and black after a certain distance.

Have you had better luck with this?

Right i had better be going...i have date with TGEA, we are off to bang my head against Atlas for a bit.

lol
metalliandy
Doyen

Feature outline

Postby Martinloki » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:10 am

I hope I'm not to late to this party.

I would love to see some something like the It would work like a selection mask in Photoshop. It would allow you to outline an area, with a lasso type tool. The rest of the map would be grayed out, and any tool used withing it's borders would only be effective up to the edge. This would make it much easier to form islands (and other land features) in unusal shapes that can't be easily achieved with the deign map and ensuring that the sorrounding terrain is not damaged in the process. I'm sure there would be other uses as well.

Thanks for taking the time to ask. Love the program.
Martinloki

Postby metalliandy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:45 pm

Hey Martinloki,

You may find this thread interesting, as i asked for a similar function a while ago.

http://www.bundysoft.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=553&highlight=

Have fun.
metalliandy
Doyen

Previous

Return to General discussion