L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Exported Atlas files are too dark...

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Exported Atlas files are too dark...

Postby jack.dingler » Tue May 22, 2007 12:36 am

I've asked this question over at GG, but no one has replied yet.

I've exported a few maps to TGEA and have plugged them into the FPS Demo Mod. I used the L3DTtoAtlas plugin.

All of the maps come out extremely dark.

My DIF and DTS objects are well lit, but the terrain comes out almost black.

Can someone suggest things I might try, in order to lighten the terrain?
jack.dingler
Contributing member

Postby DeathTwister » Tue May 22, 2007 10:56 pm

Hay Jack,

Hehe no offence to GG, but I very seldom get my needs met as an artist from there, so mostly I post my questions here or have my programer figure it out for me, and for the most part I get my other answers from the brothers on this forum. Good choice to post here /smiles.....

Question:
Did you re-light your scene after you brought it in? Sometimes that will help much on inc mesh/.dif/.dts's I have found so maybe for the textures as well? But never found the texture to be dark before, other anomalies, but not that one hummm.

I decided to work in TGE 1.5.1 as for the first time it is almost bug free /smiles,,,, WOw, I love it. Now we making all new bugs hahahaha. I am waiting for a build of TGEA that has an interface again, and most of the export/import bugs are ironed out between TGEA and L3DT and I hope make it so a Caveman can export to TGEA hahahaha ROTFL lololol.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby jack.dingler » Wed May 23, 2007 1:33 am

I think I understand better whats going on. My lightmap was too small.

I'm not sure I understand the 'sun' object. Its poorly documented. I don't think that it affects atlas terrains at this time.

I increased the texture res and it helped some. I changed the climate and it help a bit too.

I think its probably that the beta export plugin is ignoring the lightmap. I haven't looked at the source code yet to see.

I also learned that .atlas files are just poorly supported at this time. So part of the problem is likely things that I can't fix.

By profession I'm a C++ engineer doing CAD/CAM work. So this is just stuff for fun, so I'll likely stick with TGEA. By the time its working right, I'll have a nice inventory of maps and missions that will just keep looking better and better.

I think I can get some improvement by learning a bit more about climates and putting in brighter textures.
jack.dingler
Contributing member

Postby jack.dingler » Wed May 23, 2007 1:38 am

I just saw Aaron's reply on 'Climates' about not using the light map...

Trying that now. 'Glowey' might be better.
jack.dingler
Contributing member

Return to General discussion