L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

License and usage question.

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

License and usage question.

Postby EagleEye » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:06 am

I've heard that a gigantic landscape generation could potentially take months of constant processing. I have a server machine here that I'd like to dedicate to the task. The question I have has to do with the licensing of L3DT, and if I'm allowed to have the program installed on multiple systems, if the 2nd system's only use of the program is to do the long processing, so I can continue using my development system for other uses.

Both systems are behind the same router, so if IP checking is used, it would show up as the same IP... but if MAC Address checking is used, you'd see different ones... this is, of course, assuming some sort of license reporting is done at all...

I don't want to violate the license... as a software developer myself, I like to respect the rights of other software developers... so I figured I should ask before doing this.
EagleEye

Postby Aaron » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:32 am

Hi EagleEye,

You can install L3DT Pro on multiple machines. All licenses issued thus far are per-user, not per-computer. The restriction is that the licence key may not be used by other individuals.

Regarding MAC and IP addresses; neither are checked by the activation module. Piracy is not a big problem down at this end of the market (namely: inexpensive and niche-purpose), since tracking down a cracked version of L3DT Pro is not worth the time and effort for most users. Thus, I haven't bothered to make the system too intrusive.

Cheerio,
Aaron.

PS: Once I've finished the code for running L3DT across a network cluster, I probably will add a per-machine license for the server edition. That's still quite a way aways, though.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby EagleEye » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:57 pm

Okay, that sounds fantastic... that allows me to use my server system for the long hard calculation process, while keeping my gaming and production system available to use for other purposes.
EagleEye

Postby kane » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:18 am

You making a earth simulator :D
kane

Return to General discussion