L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Ability to render maps from Pro version in engines?

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Postby Brihtwulf » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:44 pm

Does TGEA still require excessive coding for things like spawning and other server functions? Does the packet handling work in a timely manner for 50+ users, or is there a lag/delay or rubber-banding? The biggest thing for me is not having to spend countless hours writing 50,000 lines of code because every creature in the game needs its own 10-line ruleset. I think the "mission editor" for Torque seems fairly straight-forward, but going far outside the FPS or RTS realms seems dangerous.

For an MMO, I think Multiverse, and possibly even RealmCrafter seem to have more potential. There are of course much better commercial options out there (BigWorld, etc.) but I'm really just talking about the indie scene. My question for you would probably be: Without breaking any of your NDA requirements, how far have you gotten in your MMO coding for TGEA, and how long has it taken you?

-Brihtwulf
Brihtwulf

Postby Madcowthomas » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:47 pm

Far as coding have to get are programmer to sit down and write up his experiences. Don't deal with much of the code since my time is doing the models and terrains.
From the mad cows desk to yours,
Peace
Madcowthomas

Yo...Reggie vacation mom!

"Without imagination we would cease to exist"
William Thomas
(1970-)
Warning!
Burping Babies are the Cause of Global Warming!
Madcowthomas
Doyen

Postby nicethugbert » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:32 pm

I've used the standard version and a NWN2 plugin called YATT to import L3DT height and alpha maps into NWN2's toolset from which said plugin generates a series of areas. You still need to populate the area and twink the walk mesh, but, for a total non-artist like me to have an application that makes realistic terrains and a plugin to import them into a game's map maker is just awesome. Just wish YATT would improve a little faster.
nicethugbert
Doyen

Previous

Return to General discussion