L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Combining heightmaps

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Combining heightmaps

Postby Aaron » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:19 am

Hi Everyone,

In the latest developmental build of L3DT (v2.5c beta 1), I've included a new plugin called atMergeMap, which allows users to stitch together two heightmaps.

Please note that this plugin is not completely finished yet. That's not to say it's buggy (I think it's relatively bug-free), but it probably doesn't do all that you would like it to:
  • It does not yet attempt to smooth the seams or overlaps between the two maps. To do that, I suggest you use Sapphire's heightmap editing tools (particularly the avalanche and perlin tools.)
  • It only merges heightmaps. It does not merge whole projects, nor any other type of map (i.e. design map, texture, etc.)
On the up-side, it does use L3DT's backup feature to save a backup of the heightfield, which means you can undo the changes if you don't like the result. This is all explained in the user guide for the plugin, which is on-line here. If you have and problems, please reply to this thread.

At some later time I will attempt to fix some of all of the aforementioned shortcomings, but I think the current state is adequate to help some users achieve their goals. If any developers would like to chip-in and extend the plugin, let me know and I'll clean-up the source code and upload it somewhere. To compile the code you will of course require Visual Studio 7.0 or later.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to General discussion