L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

how do you place objects in a terrain

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

how do you place objects in a terrain

Postby psitecc » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:01 pm

Hi all,

I'm a noob at this 3D stuff and this question is a bit off base for this forum, but I'm having trouble finding out how to place objects in a terrain generated map. It seems like such a basic thing, but I can't seem to find tutorials on the www that describe how to do it.

I've been playing around creating terrains with l3dt and modeling objects in blender. How do I get them together? I've seen something called ter2blend that gets terragen maps into blender. How would I get an l3dt map into blender?

I'm not too interested yet in animation. I just want to render still pictures of some objects in a landscape.

If anyone can explain how to do it or point me to a link that explains it, I would appreciate it.

psitecc
psitecc

Re: how do you place objects in a terrain

Postby Aaron » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:43 am

Hi Psitecc,

Sorry it took so long to reply; I was kind of hoping there was a Blender expert in the users group that would beat me to it.

psitecc wrote:I've seen something called ter2blend that gets terragen maps into blender. How would I get an l3dt map into blender?

You can export the heightmap as a Terragen .ter file, which should, I think, work with ter2blend (it's a bit hard finding info in this script!). To export as a .ter from L3DT, go to 'view->show map->heightfield', then 'file->export->active map'. This will open the export wizard, and the Terragen .ter file should be in the format drop-down list.

Sorry I can't be of more help - this is a bit beyond my field of expertise.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby psitecc » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:18 pm

Thanks Aaron.
psitecc

Return to General discussion