L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Great Program and Tutorials

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Great Program and Tutorials

Postby gryff » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:58 pm

Download L3DT yesterday ... and loving it.

I have used Terragen, Bryce and othe programs in the past .. really impressed with L3DT, the tutorials and the way Aaron responds to this forum :)

I did the fjord tutorial ... and have been creating islands ever since! I read the climate tutorial and then created my own climate (well actually copied the artic climate and replaced snow with dry grass - I wanted to get a 'look' of Wales, Scotland, Newfoundland. I will be tweaking this more. Results so far below:

One thing I've not figured out yet ... I would like the water to have a grey-blue colour ... not figured out where I should be tweaking. Any help?

gryff :)
gryff

Postby Aaron » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:39 pm

Hi Gryff,

Welcome to the forum.

The colour of the water plane in Sapphire is baked into the water texture, so to change it you'll have to open the water map texture in an image editor (e.g. Photoshop, Paint.NET, GIMP, etc), and adjust the colour balance. The water texture is located on disk at:

Win XP/NT:

Code: Select all
c:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Bundysoft\L3DT\[version\Resources\Sapphire\water.jpg

Win Vista:

Code: Select all
c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Bundysoft\L3DT\[version\Resources\Sapphire\water.jpg

The transparency/opacity of the water map can be set in L3DT using the 'Extensions->Sapphire->Renderer settings' menu option. The setting you want is under 'WaterMap->TextureAlpha', and you double-click on settings to edit them. A smaller value will give a more opaque water surface, and a larger value will give a more translucent surface.

The appearance of the water is also affected by the water/light settings you choose in the light map wizard (see userguide). The shading colour of the seafloor s determined by the absorption depth sliders. For example, if you have absorption depths for blue and green light that are 10m, and an absorption depth for red that is 1m, it means that all the red light is strongly absorbed, and so the light inside the water will turn blue/green. Clear water, such as in the tropics, has larger absorption half-depths, and murky water as short absorption depths.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby gryff » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:36 pm

Thanks Aaron .... you do react quickly !!!

I will try those tweaks you recommend later tonight ... and will post another picture :)

Tried the 'road' tutorial last night ... not quite as successful as you ;-) But always believed "practice make perfect" so doing your easy to follow tutorials really does give you a better 'feel and understanding of the subtleties' for L3DT :)

Gryff :)
gryff

Return to General discussion