L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

I saw eternity and lived to tell about it

Got a problem or need advice?

I saw eternity and lived to tell about it

Postby Thing 2 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:45 am

It's actually done! I went through all the steps in order and waited patiently. The timer counted upwards when I started each step until finally it decided to stop with the bother of calculating and just displayed the word "eternity" instead. This went on for days. But, it was still running so I didn't shut it off. My computer has been on since like my last post whenever that was (2 weeks ago?)

Anyway, I believe I have an island roughly 40km across but I have more questions. I tried exporting it to VTP enviro and opening it in L3DTVi2, both of which gave me errors. Is there any way I can view it? Do you need to see the errors?

Can I import it into Torque now, or should I be asking this on the Torque forums? What file type is it or what file types can it export to?

The folder that I saved the project in is like six and a half gigs. Inside of that there is an HF folder that is exactly 800 megs' worth of .hff files

Thanks again Aaron,

Jay
Thing 2

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:13 pm

Hay brother,

Thing 2 Wrote:
Anyway, I believe I have an island roughly 40km across but I have more questions. I tried exporting it to VTP enviro and opening it in L3DTVi2, both of which gave me errors. Is there any way I can view it? Do you need to see the errors?

WOW sounds huge and I think Aaron will have to answer this one as it is a bit beyond me. But about TSE importing...

Thing 2 Wrote:
Can I import it into Torque now, or should I be asking this on the Torque forums? What file type is it or what file types can it export to?

I found that getting the information here was better and save any of the bugs or such for GG in posts.
I would wait until you know what the errors are that you are getting before you try and import it in since you have errors, but there is a Tut on this website about exporting L3DT 2 TSE. Javabones made one for me and everyone. The link is around here somewhere hahahahahaha. Took me awhile to get it right as meza no programmer, but I finally got it, good Tut by the way. look on the Tutorial page I believe, right guys?

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby SeerBlue » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:31 pm

The TSE tutorial is in the user's tutorial section and was written by Trollfiddler. SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Postby Thing 2 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:18 pm

Thanks guys, I guess I could've looked through the tut's on my own....

It is huge, I can't wait to see it in 3D. That's exactly what I needed tho, I'll post some screens when I get it in

Thanks again everyone,

Jay
Thing 2

Postby Aaron » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:44 am

Hi Jay,

Rendering will be the hard part now.

I've verified that L3DTVi2 can load and render 32k x 32k pixels heightfield mosaics, but it could (and thinking about it now, probably does) have a 32-bit limit that prevents it from loading/displaying maps larger than this. Yet another reason for a new L3DT viewer.

VTP Enviro does have a tiled mode for large maps, but I don't know the size limits, and nor does L3DT support the particular VTP tiled formats. That's on my to-do list.

As for rendering in TSE...that's a bit unknown to me. I know you can export the entire heightfield from L3DT as a single RAW file (without running out of RAM) to feed into the TSE GUI, but I don't know what the size-limits are in that program or in Atlas in general. Anyone know?

Thing 2 wrote: The timer counted upwards when I started each step until finally it decided to stop with the bother of calculating and just displayed the word "eternity" instead.

Sometimes the 'ticks' between progress events are so far apart that the time-estimate thinks no progress is being made, and hence it guesses that the calc will take forever. It's nothing to worry about.

Thing 2 wrote:The folder that I saved the project in is like six and a half gigs. Inside of that there is an HF folder that is exactly 800 megs' worth of .hff files

Oh yeah, you may want to delete the 'Temp' folder in your map project directory. It will contain a few hundred megs of swap maps that aren't needed once the map is complete.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Thing 2 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:42 am

That's cool Aaron, I wasn't worried about how long it was taking considering the size of my island.

From what I understand (this is my first Torque project) there is no limit on the terrain size in Atlas. I think all I need to do it export it as a RAW file like you suggested. I'm going to follow the L3DT to Atlas tut that someone made. I'll let you know how it all works out.

Thanks again,

Jay
Thing 2

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:45 pm

Hay all,

First off Sorry Trollfiddler for not getting the credit to ya on who did the Tut, I was not really awake and distracted a bunch the other day, err last few days, hehehe. And didn't check my facts first DOh dum artist hahahahaha......

Then..
Aaron Wrote:
I've verified that L3DTVi2 can load and render 32k x 32k pixels heightfield mosaics, but it could (and thinking about it now, probably does) have a 32-bit limit that prevents it from loading/displaying maps larger than this. Yet another reason for a new L3DT viewer.

Yup yup I agree with you. Not only just for that but also because it don't work on my 64 bit software at all :cry: I was looking at allot of the screens I have taken of the different Terrains I have made and then brought them into the L3DTVi2 and frankly I like the Textures in our viewer then in others as it really does look better in yours and looks more like what you made when you do take it into another engine.

I have been using Terragen to just add a layer of added texture to what yours allready did so well, so I hope it can get worked on pretty soon, so it can be a valuable asset again.
Not to mention (like Terragen) all the other goodies, plugins and so on we can all get into making and doing with it.

OK gotta go, need to take care of bizz, C U ALL LATER....need more coffee.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:02 am

Hi DT,

DeathTwister wrote:Yup yup I agree with you. Not only just for that but also because it don't work on my 64 bit software at all :cry:

I'm sorry I didn't answer this earlier. Have you upgraded to the latest drivers for your video card? I'm told that the cause of a complete failure to initialise is most likely due to incompatible or incomplete OpenGL drivers.

nVidia drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

ATI drivers: http://ati.de/support/driver.html

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Last edited by Aaron on Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:08 pm

Doh,

KK boss, I will go look for upgrades hahahaha ROTFL.

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Return to Help and support