L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Trouble with exporting?

Got a problem or need advice?

Trouble with exporting?

Postby enoofu » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:54 am

I'm a first time user of this program,

Currently I'm having trouble exporting a file without its grey-scale being altered

I import the above file which was a 8bit bmp also did it as a 24 bit bmp and did a quick export

Not sure why its being altered drastically

before
after
enoofu

Re: Trouble with exporting?

Postby enoofu » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:05 pm

Still having this problem when i do changes on the map half the time, when i export the gray scale is showing different alts, the ingame editor will show 110.3 but the exported version would be 80.00

this is how i'm exporting
Choose FILE / EXPORT / EXPORT ACTIVE LAYER MAP (STRG +E) or use the corresponding icon in the menu bar.
10. Select BMP in the File Format Dropdown.
11. Name the terrain file whatever you want, and click OK to save it or click the .. button to select a directory where your maps should be saved. Now click the OK butto
enoofu

Postby Aaron » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:48 pm

Hi Enoofu,

I apologise for this inconvenience. By default, L3DT will use the full greyscale range (0-255) when exporting heightfields as bitmaps, to give maximum precision. However, in the latest developmental build (13.10 build 1, on the downloads page now) you can now override this default behaviour, and export the bitmap using user-defined greyscale ranges.

To use this feature in the new build, open the export wizard, select the bitmap format, then select the 'Options...' button. In the options window, edit the Export->MinGreyscale and Export->MaxGreyscale values (double-click to edit, -1 = default value).

Please let me know if you find any problems.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby enoofu » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:15 pm

I'm still having trouble with the latest pro beta build and previous builds

probably doing something wrong

some of the settings I been using

I use horizontal scale 1
pixelspermeter 1
Use24bitgreyscale no
MinGreyscale 0
MaxGreyscale 255

only some slight changes on one of the peninsulas

but clearly some major changes happen and the original file was 8 bit

The original file was created in Photoshop
using this standard grey scale color scale (0,0,0)- (255,255,255)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxkiezn063aps4h/topology.act

Also tried without a color-table and didn't effect the outcome and with Photoshop grey-scale
enoofu

Postby Telarus » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:10 pm

Note that your first version was very light. No dark colors, compared to the second. So that image file was only using the high end of the 0-255 range.

After L3DT gets the heighfield data, it wants to use all 0-255 range values (all Black to White greyvalues) to store the information, so it sets the 0 value to the minimum low point in the map (and the highest point to white/255).
Telarus
Doyen

Postby enoofu » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:09 am

Thank you, all i had to do was add a pixel that was 0 and one that was 255 and now it works great :)
enoofu

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:11 pm

Hi Enoofu,

Your other option is to go into the 'Operations->Heightfield->Change vertical scale' menu option, and note down the minimum and maximum altitude in your map. Then, when exporting, use these numbers as the minimum and maximum greyscale values in your bitmap image. This way, you don't have to actually change the heightfield pixels to be 0 and 255.

Best regards,
Aaron.

PS: If at all possible, I would encourage you not to use image formats for heightfields; they're just terrible at it.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support