L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

solid objects in l3dt

Got a problem or need advice?

solid objects in l3dt

Postby mihaid » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:21 pm

Hello, I'm new here, and i have this problem. I own the L3dt Pro 11.11 , and I made a game in dark basic professional. I created a land in l3dt, and added some objects in .x, or .dbo. What i cant do, is to have solid objects, to DON'T PASS THROUGH...

I tried with "set object collision on ..." command from dark basic professional, (I have the licence), but not working.
Also i want to ask about trees...rocks..how to put this things on map..i seen some things....but is not clear for me..

You can see what i 'v done on the site i made..www.mdgamesoft.com, and you can download free the beta version of "airstryke"

I wait your advices...

best regards,

Mihai
mihaid

Re: solid objects in l3dt

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:00 pm

Hi Mihai,

I apologise for my slow reply, and also for not being able to provide particularly useful answers to your question.

Regarding collision detection; you may find more luck asking this question on Dark Basic users' forum, as there may not be too many people here with experience in collision detection in Dark Basic. However, could you tell me if the problem is just that objects don't collide with the terrain, or that no objects collide with any other objects?

Object placement such as trees and rocks aren't handled directly in L3DT, except for some special cases (e.g. for the Spring engine). This is because every game engine seems to use a different format for storing their level/world definitions. Consequently, to store object placement information for any particular game engine, a new L3DT plugin has to be written just for that game engine. Since there is currently no L3DT plugin for Dark Basic, L3DT cannot place objects in Dark Basic maps, so you'll have to add them programmatically in Dark Basic or via a Dark Basic compatible level editor (if such a thing exists).

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby mihaid » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:20 pm

Hello Aaron,

First of all, thank you for your message. It seems i'm a new field, nobody known many things about what i do in my game, and is really a challenge for me. You told me to ask in the dark basic professional forum, but they cant answer to my questions...becose they dont known l3dt......and so on...lol. All my game is made in dark basic professional, only thing i made is i used the terrain created in l3dt, 2048x2048....with heightfield, textures..so on...
The land collision work perfectly !!!!..and I made some bomb craters very nice....bombs falling...bulldozer working with land (here I need to study more the efects), anyway.....it seems it can be a very nice game.....
Only problem is my objects with extension .x or .dbo....I can load all, I see them..but....not solid.
Please try and test if you have some time, my "airstryke", game...you can download for free from my site www.mdgamesoft.com..........and you will understand better what i try to say here. I'm very open to all kind of cooperations, if you like what i made there.........who known....

I prepare now the level 2, in a desert, and level 3, arctic area...Offcourse also first level need some improvements, work with bugs..so on......

I wait your suggestions...eventually , why not, proposals..

Best regards,

Mihai
mihaid

Postby Telarus » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:07 am

Hi,

As a designer with experience with other game engines, I think I can help. Most other game engines, like Unreal 3, Crysis/2 , etc, use a hidden, simplified polygon object paired to each high-polygon model in order to perform "collision detection". They do have options for "per poly collision" (*usually a check box in an individual object's properties), but this forces the engine to loop through a list of ALL polygon faces in the object and see if they intersect with ALL others in the whole scene, very very costly.

So, people use "bounding box" collision, or build simplified low-poly models to drive collision called "blocking polygons". I think if you run web searches for "dark basic collision detection" you should be able to find something.

More on the concept can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collision_detection
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3 ... ction_.php
http://www.wildbunny.co.uk/blog/2011/04 ... r-dummies/
Telarus
Doyen

Return to Help and support