L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Can't use Sapphire due to terrible Lag?

Got a problem or need advice?

Re: Can't use Sapphire due to terrible Lag?

Postby Aaron » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:33 pm

Hi ShadowIce,

On second thought, I probably should prioritise the development of an OpenGL v3/4 version of Sapphire, since this sort of problem, whilst very rare now, is only going to become more common. However, it's going to take many months before it's ready, so it may not be much help in your case.

Best regards,
Aaron
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby ShadowIce » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:47 am

Hi Aaron. Were you able to find and fix the NVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphics card lag in Sapphire?
ShadowIce
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:32 pm

Hi ShadowIce,

As per my post-before-last in this thread, the fault is that the OpenGL v2 drivers for your card are poorly optimised (note OpenGL v2 is now getting old, and support is waning), for which there are two solutions:
  1. NVIDIA updating your OpenGL v2 drivers, which may or may not be terribly likely, or;
  2. Me rewriting Sapphire to use OpenGL v3 / v4.
I should have the time to look into second option sometime next year, but I can't give you an ETA. It's a pretty major amount of work required.

Best regards,
Aaron.

PS: My offer of a full refund still stands if you are unsatisfied with the pace in resolving this fault.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby ShadowIce » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:42 pm

No, but leave the offer on the table so I have a fair & just option just incase. I think I just solved our little "graphics card" problem. For some odd reason, when I created a 256x256, 10 meter high (everything default), I was able to move around about 15 - 20 FPS. Which tells me ONE thing... Since it freezes with high quality terrain generations, and allows between 15 - 20 FPS on low quality / small terrains on an NVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti, I believe that the size and / or quality is causing a major lag. There's gotta be SOMETHING you can do with this new information.

Thanks again, Aaron! =)
ShadowIce
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:03 pm

Hi ShadowIce,

I think we knew that already, didn't we? Back in September you tested a 256x256 pixel heightmap, with all fancy rendering effects disabled, and found that the triangle rendering rate was to blame for the poor performance. When you don't have many triangles (such as small or low-detail terrain), the rendering is still slow&patchy but bearable, but when you start to add more triangles, the rendering speed collapses. This just tells me I need to stop rendering triangles in the OpenGL 1/2 style, and move to rendering vertex buffer objects in the OpenGL 3/4 style.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Help and support