L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Advise for tex generation for games.

Got a problem or need advice?

Advise for tex generation for games.

Postby KingJehu » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:20 pm

ok,
so I have a pretty involved method for terrain creation for my game. I'll try to go through as best I can. Questions to follow.

1. I create my game terrain with T.ed from d-grafix software. after i'm done with the mesh, I export the mesh as an .x file and I export the heightmap from the terrain.
2. I convert my terrain to a 3ds file, and then import it to 3ds max. the terrain I'm currently working on is in tiles. 3x3.
3. I have been using T.ed to "paint" my terrain and then exporting each tile as a 2k jpg. I can then apply those separate jpg's to each tile in max.
4. after i have my terrain completed in max, I can then export it to my game engine.

Questions:
so, I just bought a pro license (and waiting for the key).
my goals are to import the height map I created from T.ed. and generate texture tiles for my final max model.
unfotunately, the heightmap generated by T.ed is only 128x128. now, when I import that into the Standard edition it won;t let me generate or export tex's larger than 512k for the entire map. Will the Pro edition allow me to do this?
anyone have any better tips for getting a textured terrain in max?
KingJehu

Postby Aaron » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:32 pm

Hi KingJehu,

Yes, Pro allows you to make textures up to 32x larger than your heightfield, so that works out as 4096 in this case.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support