L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Unable to export raw HF for 16k x 16k map

Got a problem or need advice?

Unable to export raw HF for 16k x 16k map

Postby dennis » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:54 pm

I need to export the heightfield into raw format for a 16k x 16k heightfield and am receiving an error that 1 GB of memory cannot be allocated. I saw on the forums that there was (is?) a limitation preventing more than 1 GB being allocated. Is this still a limitation and if so when will it be fixed?

Thanks.
dennis
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:13 pm

Hi Dennis,

Yes, this still appears to be a limitation. What's happening here is that the malloc function is returning a null pointer for memory blocks of 1Gb or greater. I will continue to search for a solution to this, but the last time I looked it appeared to be related to swap file size (2Gb recommended), or memory fragmentation, or something else. [I know, that answer doesn't satisfy me either.]

In any case, you should be able to make a 16k x 16k map by using the mosaic map system, then when your heightfield is ready, select 'file->export->active map', disable the 'split map into tiles (mosaic map)' option, select RAW from the format list, select your filename, and hit save.

Most of the format plugins I've written (excluding image plugins) can save mosaic maps as single files without loading them into RAM.

Let me know if this works.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby dennis » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:58 pm

Aaron, sorry it took so long to get back to you. I used exactly the procedure you described. A few seconds after hitting OK you get an error about not being able to allocate greater than 1 GB memory.
dennis
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:18 am

Hi Dennis,

Oops, sorry about that. I must have changed the behaviour at some time to allocate a new map when you export. I'll change it back shortly.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:33 pm

Hi Dennis,

That's strange...It worked for me. Are you using the 're-size map for export' option, by any chance? (this causes the creation of a new map)

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby dennis » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:53 pm

Yes, I'm exporting as size+1 for use in TSE. Maybe I can export at normal size and then adjust it in PSP or Photoshop. I'll give that a try.
dennis
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:01 am

Hi Dennis,

I've just uploaded a new dev build (v2.4.2.14) that should fix this problem. Please let me know if there are any problems.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby dennis » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:25 am

Aaron, as usual you are truly amazing. The updated version worked like a charm. Thank you for your fast turn around. :D :D :D
dennis
Luminary

Return to Help and support